Buyer stole dvd from case and said it was empty for return reason.

I’ve dealt with all sorts of crap with false returns for books but never DVDs. I used buy shipping with Amazon, if relevant.

Is there a solution for this?

1 Like

Take him at face value, tell him that you will report the incident at once to the US Postal Inspectors, and he should save the packaging for their inspection when they come to interview him.

You should then add that lying or trying to mislead a federal agent is a felony in itself, so he should CAREFULLY check with any other residents to make sure that someone else did not open the package and take the DVD out without his knowledge.

1 Like

This is incredible. Puts the onus 100% on him.

1 Like

Reworded what you suggested slightly. Any further suggestions?

It’s awful to hear the DVD was missing, especially considering I checked it for quality before sending. I’ll report the incident at once to the US Postal Inspectors, please save the packaging for their inspection when they come to interview you.

Do keep in mind lying or trying to mislead a federal agent is a felony in itself. I don’t want you to get in trouble, so do carefully check with any other residents to make sure that someone else did not open the package and take the DVD out without your knowledge.

3 Likes

Realized I probably should have put alarming or disturbing instead of awful.

You sir are incredible. I received a message back saying that they had found the DVD it had “slipped out” when they were opening the package.

Totally understandable as I’m sure the customer was legally blind and just buying the movie for the sound.

I mean, its not like I packaged the item specifically face up to prevent this, and it wasn’t like the package size wasn’t the size of the DVD case and almost impossible to miss anything “falling out”. Oh wait…

2 Likes

Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor

The return is still open from said buyer who claimed they cancelled it.
While I’ve had open returns cancelled by buyers, I’ve never had explicit times stated that they have done so. As such, I’m unaware how long an open return takes to disappear on the sellers side once the buyer cancels the return. I’ve had amazon take 25 minutes to 48 hours for processes to clear so was unsure on this.

Can anyone provide any clarity on this?

Should I just wait 24 hours then send explicit instructions on how to cancel the return?

Given the parameters of your given situation, I would be very hesitant to directly contact the scammer idiot member of the Amazon Buyer Community again, through B-SM (“Buyer-Seller Messaging Service” aka “Buyer-Seller Messenger”), unless contacted again w/ a new message subsequent to their last, admitting that you’d made it clear that the onus was on them as our friend @packetfire astutely suggested.

In recent years, it has not been particularly unusual for Amazon to allow unrequited Return Notifications to linger for two business quarters or more in this or that Seller Central Dashboard widget and/or this and that Manage Returns/Manage Orders Dashboard; the general consensus of the seasoned and savvy forum veterans upon whose sage advice all of the rest of us depend has always been that it’s best to let sleeping dogs lie.

2 Likes

Yeah, wasn’t planning to respond without a reply first but I appreciate the reminder.

Holy ever loving munchkins! I’ve never had a returns stay open for more than a month. Multiple quarters sounds super stressful. I can see why you would, as you put “let sleeping dogs lie.”

1 Like

You have been lucky. I have had students purchase and receive books at the beginning of the semester, and immediately file a “No Longer Needed” return request, then they just wait to see how useful the book is. For me, very few buyers actually return the item, but they file the return request, “just in case.”

1 Like

Naw, just a battle-scarred veteran of the Craigslist wars, the only place anyone could get reloading supplies for bullets and shotguns and such during the pandemic. I had quite an inventory, as I had stocked up big time when they actually elected a black man president, as I know the demographic, and my sales were brisk.

When the pandemic came, sales again were brisk, as the ammo “shortage” turned into a complete “ammo crisis”, and many guys wanted to learn to hand-load.
Somehow, the demographic that wants infinite ammo overlaps with the demographic who plays stupid games trying to get something for nothing.

Oh, I’ve had something similar happen but somehow it’s never been with open returns, at least for the time period your referring to. Instead I’ve had people somehow returning a book 5 months later. Oddly the 5 month period seemed pretty consistent with the returns.
I’ve had this happen on multiple occasions.
I will say, I don’t do much in the way of textbooks anymore and these types of returns happened almost 2 years ago, when I did. That may contribute to my lack of open returns such as you have received.

1 Like