Can I ship freight to FBA using my own preferred company?

If I ship a pallet to FBA, can I use my own freight company? If so, how does that work? I’ve never shipped a pallet to FBA, only used UPS so this is all new to me.

1 Like

Yes you can.

2 Likes

What information do I need to provide to Amazon if I do so?

2 Likes

I will step aside and let others provide the “fine” details as I haven’t done a pallet in some time. I can say using Amazon to send the pallet will be much easier in most cases as the delivery driver will need to schedule with Amazon when to deliver.

3 Likes

Just curious as to why you wouldn’t want to use Amazon’s partnered carriers? Is it not available?

Using Amazon as the carrier is ~75% cheaper and the process is much easier with less chance of issues and a higher chance of a faster receipt.

We only use partnered for LTL so sadly I don’t know how to do it with your own carrier.

3 Likes

Our friend @VTR is one of the SAS members who I suspect may have some knowledge of what to do and what not to do when using a Non-partnered Carrier, but you may be able to begin learning more from the SHC (“Seller Help Content”) page Carrier requirements for delivering shipments (link), and/or from the 3 associated Help articles grouped with it under the “Truckload delivery to Amazon” section of the SHC ‘tree.’

4 Likes

@QiaD_1 are you located in the US or Canada? And are you shipping to US FBA?

2 Likes

My boss wants me to compare the costs between Amazons freight costs, and our own companies. Before I do that though I wanted to ensure we could use our own account if needed.

3 Likes

US to US

2 Likes

So the kicker with your own freight is when Amazon has a delay and who pays for that delay while your stuff sits in a trailer/dock for up to a month.
We do both, as some items cannot be shipped using Amazons’ system. We have had in the past, a few shipments where the carrier tried to charge us huge fees for Amazon appointment delays in Seattle and in Dallas. Each time the delays for ONE SHIPMENT, far exceeded any ANNUAL cost benefit for all shipments using our own carrier when cheaper.
Now we simply eyeball the rate and hit send. Hazmat goes via non partnered carrier.

5 Likes

There’s no comparison but bosses will be bosses.

If you are in the US, and have access to Amazon partnered LTL, there’s no better option.

Your stuff could get stranded for weeks or months using your own carrier and it will cost you 75% more.

For example - we shipped a 1000lb, 6 foot tall pallet with 5500 units on it last week, using Amazon freight for $96. It would have been $400 if we used our own carrier.

If you use your own carrier, that carrier needs to make an appointment to get in, and that’s not easy. Using partnered, you don’t need to do a thing other than being at the pickup point when Amazon or their partners show up.

There’s really nothing to look into here but I know you have to because you are working for someone that doesn’t know all these things.

Remember - Amazon freight and amazon partners get preferential treatment at FBA. If you’re lucky enough to get Amazon Freight (their trailers), they roll right up to the dock to get dropped off.

I know there are people that talk stuff (prefer to use another word) about Amazon freight. We’ve used them probably 100X. Never ever an issue, other than 1 time when they said our dock was too small which wasn’t true. They came back the next day after that (likely inexperienced driver) felt it was too small to back into.

I think both bays were probably occupied at the time and the driver didn’t want to wait 10 mins…

Freights - “Unable to Deliver” excuse. :rofl:

6 Likes

Thank you all for the insights! I’ll pass this all along. Hopefully he chooses Amazon freight.

5 Likes

While I too advise using a partner carrier if available, the process of using your own carrier is super simple. Just choose “use your own nonpartner carrier” after you print box labels.

When you book freight privately make sure you select “appointment required” and provide the Amazon reference number (generated at the end of the process) to the carrier as they will need it to book appointment.

Last piece of advice, Amazon only accepts freight from a select number of companies, only go with a big freight company ie T-Force, Estes or XPO.

3 Likes

The way partnered carriers work is they don’t pick it up from you until they have a delivery appointment available. If the appointment gets cancelled/delayed, it’s not your problem to deal with. They will hold the cargo at their expense until it’s eventually delivered.

If you use a non-partnered carrier and they can’t get a delivery appointment, it’s your problem. If their appointment’s delayed, it’s your problem. If their appointment’s cancelled, again, it’s your problem, and now you’re responsible for paying them to return the cargo to you as well.

1 Like

Before you spend more time on this, see if your private carrier will even deliver to Amazon. Many won’t because of all the problems delivering to Amazon warehouses. I looked at this previously and found this out.

2 Likes

This. Truckers have lives too, and Amazon has no concept of the value of anyone’s time, not their employees, certainly not 3rd parties. Partner carriers must be able to drop trailers and leave, as the wait can be as bad as “come back Wednesday”.

3 Likes

On top of this good point, many carriers are also suspended by Amazon for missing appointments. As of December, Oak Harbor Freight (West Coast) was suspended from making deliveries to FC’s due to poor performance.

1 Like

I suspect that some of these suspensions might not be the carrier’s fault. There’s a good chance they were turned away from the FC at the gate and the worker just marked them as a no show to improve the FC’s metrics.

No kidding… For fun, anyone can google Amazon’s DC locations and read the reviews, all written by truckers, waiting in 12-24 hour lines just to drop their cargo.

Waiting, with delivery appointments btw…

I’d ship hundreds of shippers to Amazon UPS before I would even think about using my own carrier for LTL but that’s just me.

Ok, to be fair, those reviews suffer the UPS review bias

But there is no doubt that delivering as a non-partnered carrier is rolling the dice big time.