Can we talk about feedback and reviews?

What is your take these days for feedback and reviews? Helpful/harmful? We are a relatively new to Amazon (a few years in) and have about 10 reviews and/or feedbacks. We try asking using the review button on delivered orders and never get anything (good or bad). And the way Amazon holds this over our heads in the ODR is ridiculous.
I find that people these days just can’t be bothered, unless it’s a really bad experience. And most of the time, it’s something stupid that could be resolved if they would just contact us. Don’t get me wrong, we have an average rating, so this neither hurts or helps us, but positive feedback would be great every now and then.
Thoughts? Opinions?

Personally, they are not important, unless they are negative. Then they are dangerous.

3 Likes

Statistically speaking, people are more likely to complain about something than to say something good. Negative feedback or reviews is very hurtful to sellers especially on Amazon. Thus, being invisible to buyers may have its advantages LOL.

Marilyn

6 Likes

Your bigger issue (IMHO) is the lack of reviews in general, not in negative reviews.

When I purchase from Amazon, I tend to make sure the products I’m getting at least have a fair amount of reviews. I don’t like being a guinea pig on new, unproven products… as they usually are crappy knockoffs.

We don’t seem to have a problem getting orders, it’s getting people to review the experience. And like I said before, the reviews we do get can easily be solved if the buyer reached out before playing keyboard warrior with their nonsense.

You indicate you’re getting orders - but if your volume is only a handful of orders a day, then that’s not actually a huge amount - reflected by your low # of reviews.

If you’re concerned about negative reviews you’ve received regarding confusion with the product, perhaps review your inserts / instructions / labelling and dumb it down as much as possible.

We only have a few negative reviews (which, again, could have been handled with direct communication), but people these days are “Keyboard” happy and I do agree, most people will complain rather than praise. The other huge issue is the “60 days”, it’s on your ODR. I know it’s 60 days from order date, but since Amazon’s report is about 2 weeks behind, it adds more days to the actual date of order.

1 Like

I am down to 7 feedbacks a year (I wish I was joking). Many times I have suggested that Amazon needs to put a # of sales per year so people get a more accurate ideal of feedback.
For the individual seller feedback is useless unless there is an excessive amount.

Reviews on products tend to be those incentivized to leave positive reviews, Those that had bad experiences with the product, and then the majority of negative reviews, the idiots or those hoping for a “credit to remove the negative review”

This is true not just about Amazon but feedback and reviews in general, and it is true about both of them.

I find feedback and reviews useful for only 1 thing. I check the negative reviews and feedback looking for patterns or consistent issues. One off complaints don’t mean much, even the highest quality products occasionally have lemons, even the most reliable companies make mistakes, or suffer issues that are out of their control. However, if I see repeated complaints about the same issue, I can take it more seriously and factor that information into my shopping decisions. For everything else, I find them meaningless.

I do know people, though I am not one of them, who will only buy items or from sellers with a larger review or feedback history. They do not like to see sub-100 numbers for reviews on an item or seller even if they are all 5 stars.

1 Like

Neither FB nor reviews are culturally ingrained in the Amazon Buyer base.

A buyer whose first choice for a marketplace is more likely to leave a review or FB on Amazon than a Prime member.

Many reviewers are idiots or egotists or ■■■■■■■■. FB is a problem for sellers of certain items, to certain customers and generally not a problem for the broad seller population.

The FB ratio is a worthless number. The ODR on the other hand is a reflection of poor seller performance. The divisor makes a world of difference.

I read reviews after I receive the product, and the poor reviews are usual more reflective of an ignorant buyer, or a seller who fails at customer service than a truly bad product. But I do not buy cheap chinese crap on Amazon. When I buy it, I buy it where it costs less.

There is no path other than failure when a seller is one of hundreds relabeling the same commodity product sold on Alibaba, and reviews are usually a result of going down the road to hell.