Changing Bank Accounts on Amazon

We are having an issue with Wells Fargo (shocking) and want to change banks. Will this trigger a re-verification for the INFORM Act with Amazon? Is there anything in particular I should look out for or be aware of? We’ve had the same account for the last 10 years. Call me paranoid but Amazon seems to always find a reason to threaten other seller’s accounts. Just trying to be cautious. Thanks.

Shouldn’t.

Have old bank account in hand to enter for verification.
Have new account established for at least 30 days.
Have utility bill on hand and ready just in case (shouldn’t need it but if they ask for re-verification)
DO NOT change bank and Credit Card at the same time. Better yet, put a credit card (not debit) on Amazon that has nothing to do with your bank (Amex is a perfect example)

Always better to be way prepared then caught with pants down. Most likely Amazon will take the change request no problem, maybe you will miss one disbursement.

8 Likes

It will at least trigger a bank verification.

We would suggest that the new bank be open for at least one month so that you will be able to have access to a monthly statement (should Amazon decide to enact the INFORM Act) BEFORE changing the bank info in Amazon. In addition, add it to your buyer side of the account first and then the seller side.

We have been with Wells Fargo 25+ years and have had no problems. Is it a Wells Fargo issue or a Wells Fargo branch issue?

@

@Pepper_Thine_Angus types faster … but our thinking was on par …

4 Likes

The key to all of this (including everything you said), is to initiate the change within mins of getting paid to minimize the risk of the above.

5 Likes

Wells Fargo is blind-siding us and closing our checking account because they didn’t have a valid physical address in their backend system. We had updated everything on Wells Fargo’s website years ago with the correct addresses. I won’t have 30 days and they won’t keep the account open once it’s flagged for deletion. It’s a bit of a nightmare. I can open a new account but I won’t have a statement for Amazon if they ask.

You’ve already gotten some excellent advice from all of the vets who responded upthread, but I would add an additional caveat:

Were we ever to do this, I would be inclined to add the Credit Card to the “Primary” Buyer Account first, and wait for it to be populated in the selection choices of Credit Method Manager.

There’s some more detail about this in the 27Jul2022 tutorial Thread: “Ancient Amazonese Secret” from the OSFE days, which is still available @ this NSFE URL:

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/seller-forums/discussions/t/6b129d8dc96f8f7429a84dbc960fc000

3 Likes

Thank you everybody for your input. I went to the deposit methods page on Seller Central and saw this on the side. Hopefully we won’t get an INFORM Act reverification:

[How do I update my default deposit method?]

Click “Replace default deposit method” for the desired marketplace. On the “Replace default deposit method” page, choose the new bank account and click “Set deposit method”.

[Should I notify Amazon before updating my deposit method?]

No, there’s no need to notify Amazon before updating your deposit method. Simply follow the steps above to make the update.

[Can I edit bank account details?]

No, you can’t edit information for existing bank accounts. If your deposit method details change, add a new bank account.

3 Likes

Just wanted to add one more thing if it helps somebody else avoid our issue. I’ve been told by a Wells Fargo banker that their corporate office is on a rampage closing business accounts without warning. Even if your addresses and contact info are correct on their website, they MAY have a different physical business address on their backend system. It’s usually the address that you originally opened the account with. This has to be changed at a branch with a banker. It can not be a PO Box or PMB and it has to match the SOS in the state where your business is registered. Changing your address on the website will not solve the issue and there will be no warning when your account is flagged for deletion. Just an FYI.

3 Likes

Go with Chase if you can. We have all our business interests with them.

Other than their new fee for each ACH transfer, even for platinum accounts, which really pisses me off, they are great.

2 Likes

This not based on experience, but only on hunch.

I would first go the buyer side of your account / Payments / Wallet

Assuming you see that account there – change it on the buyer side first.

Wait 24 hours. Then change the seller side.

3 Likes

I took your advice. :wink:

1 Like

Good bank, solid reputation for business.

I know a lot of people involved with them, including really big businesses. No complaints and good people.

I also have my mortgage with them and they never flipped (sold) it to another lender which is nice and rare…

1 Like

Hi bookworm! I will need to change my seller bank deposit account soon. So I’m reading this thread and found your post. After reading Dogtamer’s post, I understood why things should be done from the buyer side first. What I don’t understand is your advice to change the buyer side bank account to the new deposit account. Deposit account is for receiving money. Buyer account will not receive any money from Amazon. Besides, buyer bank account is individual while seller bank account is business. It’s a good practice to separate between personal and business, right? Or your advice to put the seller business bank account to the buyer side first is only temporary? It would be removed from the buyer side after all is done, right?

1 Like

I don’t think there’s a lot of reason to be scared of this. We have done it once and it was fine. Be aware, there is a 3 day freeze on disbursements after you make the change. I did it from Seller central because there is no way as you have mentioned to add a deposit method to the buyer side.

-Ana

6 Likes

Yes …

There is some confusion here. If you want to change your credit card associated with your seller account, adding it to the buyer side first, waiting a day and then adding the new credit card to the seller side seems to help the process go through smoothly for some. As far as the deposit account, that is done on the seller side and will trigger Amazon to verifiy the bank account which puts a 72 hour freeze on Amazon sending any deposits to you during that time. If you are on the two week payout cycle, some suggest waiting until just after a payout to do the change so that there is less of a chance of a payout being held up.

4 Likes

As I said, just hunch. The hunch based on the way the credit card change works (doesn’t work)

Some time ago a veteran advised someone who was having trouble to change bank account first on buyer side. I didn’t even think the buyer side had bank account info. I looked and found I was wrong – there it is.

I think that it works like this – Amazon doesn’t automatically assume that all buyers (unlike sellers) are sleazy conniving crooks and doesn’t bring out the big hammer whenever they make any sort of change.

So, now that the new bank account is all settled on the buyer side and has been accepted by Amazon (not sure they do anything at all there), it is not a new suspicious account that the sleazy conniving seller is trying to pass off as real.

4 Likes

And so we learned something new today … Just checked our buyer side and found the deposit method listed under accounts. We know we didn’t place the deposit method or the credit card there as we never use the buyer side. The way it is placed in the payments section leads us to believe Amazon has done this as a drop back method of charging something directly to the deposit method bank account. Sneaky … sneaky Amazon.

Recently, Amazon has been hounding us to open a business account which we see is also linked into the buyer side. Makes us wonder what is hiding under the hood in that section … :thinking:. We don’t want to click it to find out as we do not want to open a can of worms that we do not want.

4 Likes

No fears there either. We opened one finally after they hounded us for a year or so. We buy a lot of stuff for the business on Amazon, and they let you add your business license so that you don’t hae to pay tax on your business purchases.

I cannot get to SC when I’m logged into the business account so it must not be linked to our seller account. So far I’m very pleased with it, and there are business discounts available to us that are not there on the buyer side. Haven’t unlocked net 30 yet though, not sure how that works.

-Ana

5 Likes

Yes, it is good practice! :grin:

Every Seller account automatically has an associated Buyer-side account, but Buyer accounts do not automatically have a Seller-side account.

So you should consider setting up a different Amazon Buyer account for your personal purchases that is not tied to your Seller account, at all. Use a personal email address, your home address, your personal cell phone number, etc. Enter a personal credit card, and do not enter a bank account, at all.

Conversely, remove anything personal on the Buyer-side of your selling account, including non-business delivery addresses.

Here’s how to find where you can add a bank account on the Buyer side. Note that the use of “personal” here is a boilerplate warning to shoppers not to add an unauthorized bank account of any kind.

Your account > Payments > Your payments > Wallet

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this info. Where did you find the deposit method? I looked around and the only place that had credit cards and bank accounts is in Wallet. See the screenshot below:

Is this the place that we should add the new bank account that we’re going to use for deposit account for seller side?