[CNBC] Amazon’s ditching the plastic air pillows in its boxes

ok, GOOD, cause they only ever threw one pillow in a box so it was always useless! And the paper makes good fire starter for the fire pit!

6 Likes

The paper honeycomb is good stuff. The Navy has been using it for years to sent me this and that and the other, and all of it is fragile.

7 Likes

It really is. No problems ever! I use and reuse the heck out of it, too, not just for shipping.

The plastic pillows are pointless, good riddance.

Hope more companies follow suit.

5 Likes

I use anything that can be salvaged in general to use as filler.

Almost all my items go in a 4X4X4 OR 6X4X4 box so anything that my suppliers send me in their shipments can go a LONG way and cushion many shipments.

I was getting desperately low so I was ‘forced’ to place an order with my main supplier for a paper restock. They have a contract with a specialty foreign language newspaper publisher. I wonder if my buyers ever wonder how I speak so many different languages.

I DO have to be careful since they also publish for such varied philosophies as divergent as Louis Farrakhan and the Proud Boys. I’ve always THOUGHT about handpicking what to send to certain areas of the country. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

Not the case for me; I often got boxes with 5-6 in them.

Of course, all but one or two were flat…

5 Likes

“This is not the first step that Amazon has taken to reduce its packaging waste. In 2015, the company launched the Ships in Product Packaging program, an initiative designed to reduce the use of Amazon’s signature brown box and instead ship products in their original packaging.”

This will maybe help the porch pirates to be more selective?

4 Likes

I tried the MyQ in-garage delivery the other day and watched from the camera on my garage. Pretty cool. Van pulls up. Assume the driver scanned the box when he was in the van because my garage opened and I got a notification of that on my phone. He walked to the garage, dropped it, and 30 seconds later it closed by itself, along with another notification on my phone.

7 Likes

My boxes are full of them. I love them because I reuse every single one of them in my FBA boxes. They go right back to Amazon.

5 Likes

Don’t use that stuff for international shipments… some countries have no sense of humor at all, and will assume that you are smuggling “disharmonious propaganda” to the recipient. (Singapore and United Arab Emirates, I’m looking at YOU!)

5 Likes

Just another reason why I don’t sell anything internationally on Amazon. I only do global for eBay and I ship to their facility for forwarding (and eating all the headaches!)

If the UAE wants to carpet bomb eBay I’m out of blast range.

That is an interesting thought though since my son WAS going to have his next post in Qatar but they are so short of people that he is still stuck in Moscow!
Since we send everything to the family in boxes that go to the State Department and then by Diplomatic “pouch” I doubt it would ever be an issue.

He CLAIMS everything is still OK in Moscow but we have the Grandson who just turned 18 here again this Summer since he lost his Diplomatic Immunity. I keep waiting for things to go south and everyone getting evacuated, just not on a scale like 'Nam back in the day.

3 Likes

The economics of the SIPP program is garbage. Amazon will stop using a $3 dollar oversize box to ship your stuff, but only give you $0.50 off to encourage you to use your own $4 box.

5 Likes