Ebay : Starting August 17, American Express will no longer be accepted on eBay

We recently reached out to let you know that effective August 17 we’ll no longer accept American Express as a form of payment on eBay. We wanted to remind you about this upcoming change. We accept a wide variety of payment methods such as PayPal, Venmo, Apple Pay, Google Pay, and credit and debit cards such as Visa, Mastercard, and Discover.

To continue having a smooth checkout experience after August 17, use the link below to add another payment method.

Add another payment method

You can also continue to use your American Express card by adding it to your PayPal or Venmo account to pay for items on eBay. If you have any questions or concerns, just get in touch—we’re here to help.

Thanks for being part of the eBay community.

3 Likes

I give it about 3 weeks before they realize that Amex fees are the same as other cards once you calculate in the rewards aspect of things.

3 Likes

My initial thought was that eBay wanted the extra security by having users with an Amex purchase via Venmo or PayPal.

I assumed, which is usually wrong, that eBay incurred to many chargebacks from Amex users and maybe the extra security of using an Amex via PayPal or Venmo may reduce the chargebacks.

Just a guess. Probably incorrect.

2 Likes

I also would guess it’s because of Amex chargeback rules. They’re basically impossible to win. Legible signature, matching the card holder name, at the AVS verified delivery address? Chargeback upheld, customer didn’t get the item.

3 Likes

Amex does tend to side with it’s users in chargebacks more often, so this could be the case, but I’m betting it comes down to finances and ebay is hoping that by pulling this stunt it will cause Amex to offer lower transaction fees to them.

Ebay wanted to get into the payment processing game, welcome to the jungle!

5 Likes

That’s my first inclination, as well; AMEX has always had higher interchange fees (and a broader-ranged fee structure than the other major players), although it has striven to lessen the gap over the last 7 years or so.

3 Likes

I don’t know what’s going on, but there were new signs at my doctor’s office today also stating they will no longer accept AmEx.

So I doubt that it’s chargebacks, or only chargebacks. :thinking:

3 Likes

Both my primary and my dentist have never accepted Amex.
I have been with the same primary and dentist since 2008.

Side note

I do love my Hilton Honors American Express Aspire card even with the yearly fee.

3 Likes

Hmm, I guess it is just the swipe fees, and eBay (and now my doctor’s office) isn’t alone.

I don’t have an AmEx card so haven’t really paid attention.

2 Likes

Costco was different. That was more of a partnership.

4 Likes

Costco hardly led a revolt - that was almost 10 years ago? And they had the swagger to do it with about 20% of amex’s revenue at the time due to the partner cards. Amex balked as the deal costco wanted was going to cost them too much.

eBay? a drop in the bucket.

3 Likes

Maybe. Many Ebay buyers are reporting that they cannot change the credit card they use when they use PayPal for a payment method from their default card.

There are suggested work-arounds to do it but the are clumsy and time consuming.

2 Likes

Costco required credit cards to bid competitvely to be the exclusive card.

Costco got a lower rate than any other merchant in return for exclusivity and Visa won.

Amex chose margins over revenue as it always has,

3 Likes