FTC Chair on Amazon Antitrust Lawsuit & AI Oversight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaDTiWaYfcM

Funny I tried to post but got “An error occurred: Sorry, you can’t post the word ‘K.han’; it’s not allowed” :shushing_face:

Federal Trade Commission Chair Lina K.han joins Jon Stewart to discuss her work with the “small but mighty” government agency in protecting Americans against unfair business practices. They discuss the agency’s antitrust lawsuit against Amazon, successes within the healthcare industry, and if there’s an arms race between tech companies to wield control over artificial intelligence.

5 Likes

I love this, but it is a 20-minute watch, so I am adding about the first five minutes’ transcript here.

Click here for transcript excerpt
2 Likes

An interesting piece of background.

For the record, I have no more affinity for Apple than I do for the FTC

WSJ had an article today on Apple’s attempts to prevent this interview.

I cannot post the link because this site if barring the cuss word K.han even when it appears in a link.

2 Likes

Khan’s name has been removed from blocked words

2 Likes

Thank you

https://www.wsj.com/tech/jon-stewart-says-apple-urged-him-not-to-interview-lina-khan-271ddeb0?st=uvgk9wvm71f5197&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

1 Like

khan

5 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: NSFE: SUNDANCE is an Amazon bot :laughing:

I watched this yesterday and found it fascinating - I love that they’re on it. She specifically honed in on all the fees and how small businesses can pay Amazon like 50%!

4 Likes

He actually mentioned it in the interview. Said he wanted to include the interview with her on his Apple podcast, but Apple asked (demanded?) he not. Which - honestly - kind of proves her point!

3 Likes

That’s highly misleading, since that includes FBA fees which for most FBA sellers are cheaper than if they shipped products themselves.

3 Likes

It also includes advertising costs. Yes, my fees about 50% when including all fees (FBA, inbound shipping, PPC).

2 Likes

Yes but also according to you and many other Sellers, FBA is required for Amazon success… :eyes:

1 Like

The definition of success varies by seller.

That said. Success in the Amazon area of Amazon’s strength - mass market retail, requires FBA.

Success in niche markets need not require FBA but Amazon might not be the best venue for any particular niche.

Many Amazon sellers are not prepared to be mass market retailers for reasons other than those controlled by Amazon. And they whine more than those who stand a chance of mass market success.

3 Likes

It is for most sellers, but it doesn’t take away from the fact that Amazon’s basically running your entire business for you and includes a significant amount of your expense in that 50% (shipping and handling is by far the biggest non-COGS expense for any ecommerce company, sometimes it’s actually even higher than COGS).

Amazon brings the buyers
Amazon runs the platform and ad platform
Amazon handles taking payment
Amazon handles almost all logistics and customer service (bad customer service is still customer service)

Seems to me that they well earned their 50%.

Now, I agree with some of the antitrust abuses for Consumers vs Amazon (and those are less about being a monopoly and more on the side of deceptive marketing), but as far as Sellers vs Amazon I would side with Amazon 100% on everything. There is no monopoly abuse because Amazon’s not a monopoly. Anyone and everyone can open their own ecommerce website (if you don’t have the money or can’t raise the money required to promote it, that’s a you problem). And sellers are not consumers and are not entitled to the same protections as consumers are. All sellers also agreed to the BSA which basically gives Amazon broad rights to do what they want and hold sellers to it. You can’t agree to something then complain you don’t like it. (Well, you can complain, but you’re not entitled to anything legally, unless you have a winnable arbitration case).

All active sellers, are by definition, satisfied business “partners” of Amazon, because if anyone was genuinely dissatisfied they would close their account. Are there things that Amazon does that piss me off? Of course, but overall I would say I’m satisfied.

1 Like

But there must be an interesting tale behind how it became a blocked word in the first place.

2 Likes

Let’s just say that there’s a reason why discussions of politics - and/or prominent personalities who ply their trade in that arena, even if only mostly in a tangential fashion - have been known to derail many a dinner table conversation.

1 Like

Words are not nessessarly added by SAS. The default template that was installed were “common censored words”. A “political hotbutton” list was added also, and we have been removing words as they become a problem

3 Likes

Oh, that’s boring… I was expecting to hear a story of a flame war between two avid Star Trek fans that turned into physical violence…

4 Likes

If that happened/happens, I will have it printed on a plaque and framed!

3 Likes

Nothing we don’t know but might still be worth a read

https://www.wsj.com/business/retail/amazon-sellers-plagued-by-surge-in-scam-returns-04c86665?st=mt9eah3kfoles81&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

2 Likes