How are you guys preparing for potential UPS nationwide strike?

I really don’t know all the logistics of the strike. Is it entirely ups? If it’s just deliveries I’m sure they could have doordash step in to deliver packages. However I read somewhere that if teamsters strikes then there will be no ups pilots? But that makes me think if teamsters don’t strike then ups will still fly planes?

I have a big box I meant to ship in before Friday for fba but realized I was out of my packaging supplies (summer is always a bit chaotic with all 5 kids home) and so I ordered my supplies and fingers crossed it gets here before Friday so I can get an fba order out. Otherwise I’m out of town and can’t ship an fba order till next week which I suppose is ok if I can get a close warehouse to ship to. I just don’t want my incoming fba order to get stuck somewhere in a ups warehouse. I know at least amazon will ship my items out with its own carrier or other carriers. After that i don’t think I’ll ship another fba order till the strike resolves. Anything that sells out I’ll just flip to fbm.

1 Like

Excellent topic @HumbleWarrior, thank you!

And excellent responses, much appreciated.

Thanks to all who are keeping a good conversation going and following SAS guidelines. :dart:

#pinned

1 Like

One of the things to remember as FBM sellers. Make sure you have enough shipping supplies on hand. Uline ships UPS (and fedex, but they prefer UPS) and no longer offers warehouse pickups in the USA since 2019 (All other countries they do). Other suppliers check their preferences.

Bubble wrap, check
bubble packs, check
Boxes, check

I don’t think the strike will happen, I hope it doesn’t. If it does, ADAPT, SURVIVE, and THRIVE.

6 Likes

Regulated product, no trust in Amazon, to not f@#&k it up.

2 Likes

Just like not every product is a good fit for Amazon, not every product is a good fit for FBA, and FBA is not a good fit for every 3P business on Amazon.

2 Likes

UPS pilots are not represented by the Teamsters, they fall under the Independent Pilots Association
but have vowed solidarity, not to fly UPS cargo.

The loss of UPS Air will likely shift packages to FedEx Express, which handles air transport.
Delivery of time-sensitive cargo needed overnight could become an issue the longer UPS Pilots refuse to fly.

From the Washington Post:

Last week, FedEx said it had enough capacity to handle any extra business from a UPS strike, according to Haber. So does the Postal Service, said spokesman David Partenheimer. But with 37 percent of parcel delivery services out of the system, everyone will see an impact, even companies with contingency plans

“It could be crippling to the U.S. economy,” Haber said. “UPS moves 6 percent of the GDP in their network on a daily basis.”

Consumers probably won’t see shipping delays until a few days into a strike, said Patrick Penfield, a professor of supply chain practice at Syracuse University. Shipping backlogs**,** Penfield said, would lead more online shoppers to choose in-store pickup — a positive outcome for retailers that have been raising purchase minimums for free shipping as costs continue to rise. Consumers also tend to purchase more when they pick up their items at the store.

2 Likes

FedEx was the primary source of failed deliveries both for LTL and SPD shipment to FC’s and from FC’s to customers for us years ago.

FedEx is so bad they simply boycotted the MEM FC’s because they didn’t like the appointment schedules. Keep in mind FedEx home delivery and ground are usually sub contractors with pathetic workers and subs, squeezing out as much cash as possible before being given the boot for the next lowest bidder to loose your stuff.
Our local FedEx ground contractor hired back the fired employees from the previous contract holder and it was an entertaining watch on the news when he was caught by the cops for stealing… probably again.

1 Like

Preach it sister. SOOOOO many business’ think FBA is simply the easy button.
If you don’t tailor your logistics and product/packaging operations to meet FBA, you are doomed or throwing away money.

3 Likes

This is true, we went through the last one.

At least we were not shut down for two years earlier in this decade due to choices made by others. Now that was crippling, still working through the cashflow and debt issues that caused.

3 Likes

This is so true, from day one, we develop our products and our packaging to fit in warehouse bins. We develop both to fit the USPS and UPS transportation system.

Seasonal items always get suffocation bags, since when they come back they will be useless with the FBA road rash they get.

As one example our entry level low priced products will always be at or under 15.9 ounces. Our heavy dense objects will always fit in a padded flat rate, worst case. Flat rate letter envelope with a #2 padded, best case.

Our large objects, go over by 1/4 inch and shipping could go from $32 to over $100 shipping due to the new oversize surcharges. The team does not have to repackage more than once, they never make that mistake again.

4 Likes

News as of this morning, they are talking again.

2 Likes

Yes this one is going to be nationwide, 100%.

Hmm… if pilots are a member of the teamsters, then yeah there would be no pilots to fly UPS planes.

How do you do FBM? Do you use 3PL or you ship them yourself? I think I should start looking into FBM as well.

1 Like

I’ve never done FBM before. Do you need to sell high profit margin or tiny item to not get charged too much on shipping cost? Most of my items are Large Standard with weight around 1 - 5 lbs. They don’t have enough profit margin to pay for regular shipping cost.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this info. I never know that FedEx has these problems. I just love their lower price as Amazon partner years ago.

Yep, I tailor my product packaging to fit FBA model. BTW I think the “papy” is a derivative of “papi” which means father. Hence he’s a dude. Therefore it should have been “Preach it brother” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Actually, in this case its a diminutive of ‘papyrophilia’ (which means “love of paper” in its strictest sense, but “fond of the written word” - i.e, of books - fits equally as well), which was her OSFE Handle.

Papy makes no bones about the fact that she’s a member of the Fairer Sex, so VTR’s usage of “Preach It, Sister” is correct.

It’s been a lifelong practice of mine to use nicknames - it’s part of a rather-convoluted mnemonic process of my own fevered mind - and when I suggested using “Pap” because I’d drawn the same conclusion that you mention, I earned my first slap on the wrist, so it was "papy’ after that, in the OSFE, whenever I mentioned and/or linked one of her many insightful posts.

4 Likes

SS-UPS

Processing a return in Shipstation, and this prompt popped up.

2 Likes

Yeah, here on SAS I just tried to keep it simple so went with papy.

I also considered (and rightly rejected) “Miss P”.

I’ll take 'em both! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nice communication, ShipStation! :pray::+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

They are NOT. UPS pilots are members of the Independent Pilots Association (IPA). However, “in a letter dated June 26, 2023, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) General President Sean O’Brien thanked the Association for its show of solidarity during the IBT’s negotiations with the Company. In the letter, O’Brien also reaffirmed the IBT’s commitment to support the IPA when the Association begins contract negotiations with the Company next year.” And “on behalf of the pilot group, IPA President Bob Travis sent a letter dated July 3, 2023 to the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) General President Sean O’Brien reaffirming that the IBT can count on the IPA’s support during their negotiations with the Company. President Travis also thanked O’Brien for his commitment to support the IPA when the Association begins negotiations with the Company in September 2024.”

If two companies did anything like this, do you believe that no accusations of price fixing and marketplace collusion would be made?