How can Amazon improve the feedback/reviews system?

As we all know, for every 1000 happy customers we may get 1 positive review, but for every 1 unhappy customer, we get 1 negative review. This creates a warped system where positive performance is rarely rewarded but a rare negative performance can ruin your account/product.

My suggestion would be to automatically leave 5 stars as feedback/reviews per X amount of orders where the customer was never to be seen again. So if 100 customers buy an item, don’t open a return, file a claim, or manually leave a review/feedback then after the return period is over the product would get an automatic positive review.

Are there any other ways you guys think we can close the gap between positive/negative review rates?

3 Likes

As far as metrics go, this is already how it works. As far as the feedback rating visible to shoppers, the feedback system is obsolete in the first place and needs to be either radically overhauled or simply removed and replaced with a completely different metric rating than “how many buyers were too entitled to read the instructions before purchasing” rating.

1 Like
  1. @Scott - they won’t

2. This is party because the FTC also has a very strict criteria for consumer reviews

3. The question, then is, are their any methods/strategies/processes within TOS that allows you to mitigate positive user experience: negative customer experience ratio as you stated? Simple answer. No.

4. There is already a customer review request tool which is very poorly executed on amazon. A big issue with it is amazon automatically asks customers for feedback first which customers many a time assume is a product review.

5. Outside of these, there is a bit of cleverness in requesting reviews from certain types of customers which is outside of the scope of this forum.

6. Finally, you may request reviews from other channels like your site or social indirectly. Just can’t do it on amazon and to amazons’ customers.

2 Likes

SELLER FEEDBACK THOUGHTS

For feedback, I have supported this for years, except for every order.

What might work better, though–and I’m just brainstorming–is just an “experience” percentage: “99% (or 72%, or 58%, etc) of shoppers had a positive experience with this Seller” where all orders without issues (and/or resolved issues?) are counted as “positive”.

This would take a lot of the human emotion, shopper abuse and extortion, and black hat feedback manipulation and seller sabotage tactics out of the equation. Definitely not perfect, either, but an improvement, I think.

PRODUCT REVIEW THOUGHTS

Well, just one thought…but as long as Amazon allows unverified purchase reviews on everything non-book, product reviews in aggregate are useless. You have to read them and decide which ones are trustworthy.

Personally, I choose US reviews and sort by most recent. Global reviews and a “helpful” review from 2017 tell me nothing about what I might actually receive.

Honestly, I would love for all non-rating product reviews to include images.

Great questions @Scott ! Sadly, Amazon likely can’t even handle the concept of everything that changing systems would entail.

1 Like

I look at most critical, then look for recurring problems. If the item isn’t reasonably well rated I generally don’t even look at the reviews, so I don’t need to sort through a bunch of reviews telling me how good the item is. I just want to know if there is a weakness or design flaw I need to watch out for.

1 Like

We also do this …

And we do this …

If the critical shows up in the recent, we take pause and research a little more if we are comparing like items.

If the critical shows up 3 to 5 years ago but not recent, we make a note of it and read the recent to see how it is now.

But in the end, we take all of it with a grain of salt and use our best judgement as we roll the dice.

Hey, what are your strategies to get more customer reviews? Just curious!

2 Likes

Mainly? Request review button automated viz a viz an app like feedbackwhiz. This is TOS compliant.

2 Likes