How does the Amazon Discount work, exactly?

I found this oddity. So, assuming I sell this, what am I paying the fees on? The shown price or the price with the discount added on?

1 Like

You should be paid $20.99 Minus Fees on $20.99 (Standard FBA or FBM Fees)

2 Likes

The SHC (“Seller Help Content”) page explaining this is the (frequently renamed & revised since the program’s original 3Oct`17 rollout) “Discounts Provided by Amazon” (link, Seller Central).

I will leave it to the gentle reader to discern whether or not Amazon toes the line it says it will…

1 Like

You pay the fees of what you have it listed for Amazon is just making the sale more enticing. I have had multiple items with the Amazon discount, there is no rhyme or reason either. One time I had to fight with a manufacturer that it wasn’t me breaking MAP Amazon was doing it.

1 Like

I see here:

What if my vendor has a strict Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) policy?

You, as a seller, can opt out of the Discounts Provided by Amazon program at an account level by contacting Selling Partner Support.

1 Like

Yep, that’s why the Editorial Team was directed to include the below when the SHC page was retitled from its original “Amazon Funded Discounts” to “Amazon discounts to customers” some years back:

"…

What if my vendor has a strict Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) policy?

You, as a seller, can opt out of the Discounts Provided by Amazon program at an account level by contacting Selling Partner Support.

Can I opt out of the Discounts Provided by Amazon program for specific ASINs only?

No. You can only opt out of the Discounts Provided by Amazon program as a seller for all your ASINs.

How should I respond to my vendor if I’m contacted about a MAP violation?

These discounts are provided by Amazon, and are one way Amazon ensures that prices on Amazon are competitive with those offered elsewhere. You can opt out of the Discounts Provided by Amazon program by contacting Selling Partner Support.

…"

Apparently, the FTC is not amused.

ETA: Our friend @Scott beat me to it.

The manufacturer was actually very understanding in the end and said it was only brought to his attention because another seller had reported the violation.

2 Likes