I need to become an expert in PPC in the next 24 hours.

I have no experience with ads on Amazon, and no real interest in getting any experience. Unfortunately, I need to learn everything there is to know about them by tomorrow morning, or my business is in trouble.

1 Like

If you have a lot of products, create an automatically targeted campaign for all products with low default bid and daily budget.

4 Likes

Pick a word / phrase (exact match or “contains”) that is what someone looking for your product(s) would enter into search. Put a $ value to that word/phrase. Set a max $ per day.

5 Likes

Don’t know if this will help, but they have courses to get certificates for PPC here: https://learningconsole.amazonadvertising.com/student/collection/8532-amazon-ads-certifications

3 Likes

I’ll put it on the list, thanks.

2 Likes

Go through the Seller University stuff, but here’s a quick and dirty to-do list for PPC set up:

1. Identify specific goals. Views? Clicks? Sales?
  2. Identify your specific ASIN(s) for a campaign*.
  3. Identify top search terms (keywords) for that ASIN/group. You already know basic terms, and there are free online tools for this, too.
  4. Identify your MAX DAILY SPEND budget for this campaign. If you have multiple campaigns, you’ll need to spread out that daily budget.
  5. Look at 3 and 4 to estimate (ESTIMATE VERY ROUGHLY) your per-term bid budget, per day. Because you are bidding against competitors for the chance to be viewed by the shopper who entered the search terms. You only pay that if the shopper clicks your ASIN link.
  6. Adjust your ad settings for max budget, auto-increase, etc.
  7. Repeat for additional campaigns.
  8. Optional: Consider adding other brands/ASINs as “search terms” that would get your ad some views. This is allowed for ads.

*You might need multiple campaigns for multiple products/product groups that don’t share keywords.

QUICK TIPS:

• Personally, I recommend waiting two weeks before making any non-emergency (budget) changes, and those changes should be based on actual data (specifically conversions not CTR).
  • Aim for PPC costs at less than 15% of sales. IMO over 25% is the danger zone and needs immediate adjustment.
  • Eventually, whittle keywords down to less than 10 (and then less than 5, if you get really crazy).

ETA: @TheOrangeCrush suggestion is a good one for getting to know keywords and bid ranges, and honestly might be your best option by tomorrow.

5 Likes

Thanks for the help.
I don’t need to get PPC ads up by tomorrow, I need to learn about them so I can stop other people from doing… things.

4 Likes

Ok, we can pivot to what not to do…

• Amazon plays fast and loose with “daily budget”. Set this lower than you can spend because they will spend up to 1.5x, which adds up fast.
  • Don’t bid more than $1 per term, to start, in my opinion. This keeps you from flushing money down keywords with high clicks but low conversions.
  • If you’re in a highly competitive category and/or one with a lot of (alleged) black hat sellers, then start “low and slow” so that you don’t attract click farms running you out of budget at non-peak shop times.
  • Don’t go crazy on product groups. Aim for single ASIN campaigns, to start.
  • Test campaigns first on seasonal OR mid-range ASINs–not your best sellers, and not your slowest movers–unless it’s a product launch.
  • Plan on not touching campaigns for 2 weeks so that you have actual meaningful data for next-step decisions. Don’t make daily or–god help us–multiple daily adjustments unless your budget is maxing out.
  • Do check ad spend daily.
5 Likes

IDK what you can do if competitors are running ads…

I do PPC for my company as well as a few others. If you have specific questions feel free to dm me.

3 Likes

I don’t want to be involved in these items in the first place but I clearly lost that battle. Now I just want to make sure we aren’t throwing good money after bad. I have heard the horror stories of people who set up PPC without knowing what they were doing and getting hit with huge ad buys on no sales. Considering who is setting this up, I need to do anything I can do to staunch this open wound before it hemorrhages our cash-flow.

1 Like

Most important in controlling and monitoring your spend would be your daily ad budget. Each campaign would have its own daily budget limit. If you add all of these up that would be your total daily spend limit. I would just watch to make sure you are all comfortable with that daily spend amount. In the worst case, if no sales are made, at least you know how much you would be losing on a daily basis.

After that looking at your ROI or ACOS would be the next most important thing. These would be your indicators of a successful or unsuccessful campaign. Your company should already know what an acceptable ACOS should be before starting to advertise.

1 Like

I’m not sure why your business would be in trouble tomorrow? Is there a specific tactic from a competitor that you are trying to defend against?

Competitor, no.
Coworker, yes.

What are they doing exactly?

Okay, I’m really confused. You want to defend your business against something a coworker is doing? Maybe report them to your boss?

Sounds kind of like they have a smart a$$ know it all coworker who is going to trash the business by doing something stupid with PPC. Tomorrow. Who likely has the bosses ear and has convinced them of the wisdom of the aforementioned “something stupid.”

3 Likes

It would help to know what it is that is so stupid.

“Unlimited” budget

I don’t know yet.
However, history has shown that whatever I think they’re doing, it will be much, much stupider, much, much more costly, and somehow result in much, much more work for me.
They spent a lot of today watching utoob videos on PPC campaigns so disaster can’t be far behind.

1 Like

@Amazon_Seller the impression I have gotten over the course of @maintak posting sorta seems like if their workplace is The Office, then they are Jim but they work for Michael Scott who is now an expert on wheelchairs because he has a burn on his toe. :grimacing:

4 Likes