Inconsistency in unified transaction report

Has anyone noticed how some charges are categorized differently?

Shipping credits on FBA orders are sometimes offset as promotional rebates, other times the offset is lumped in with the FBA fee.

This is annoying if I want to total what I paid in FBA Fees only.

I don’t agree that they are promotional rebates either, I run promotions so it messes up my total on those also.

I could create formulas to make the needed adjustments but that is difficult with two completely different transaction charge types populating in the promotional rebate column, and the inclusion in FBA Fees sometimes.

Here are examples of each from my 2022 transaction report:

Offset type shipping credits promo-tional rebates mkt-place with-held tax selling fees fba fees Actual FBA Fee
as promo rebate 7.59 0 0 0 -7.59 0 0 -11.25 -4.95
added to FBA Fee 10.27 0 0 0 0 0 -2.17 -4.65 -13.91 -3.64

It seems to be random. And seems like poor accounting practice.
Why are they so sloppy (rhetorical question). We should be able to expect consistency in financial transaction reporting from them.

Is there a rational explanation for this? If so, I will cancel my rant.

I’ve noticed the same. Doesn’t make any sense to us either. Not sure how our accountant handles it.

Have you tried running the transaction summary report - the 1 pager that summarizes the year to see how it shakes out? That report specifically says it’s not to be used for tax purposes which is interesting but since the b-weekly payouts aren’t structured for a 365 day period so you end up prorating the first and last summary to get to a somewhat accurate number for the year.

I can never remember where the summary report is so I saved the latest screen shot from Sundance from the NSFE…

I usually do run the Summary also, I am concerned that it pulls the same data from the same sources as the transaction report. I think it is very poor code, but why two different outcomes for the exact same type event? I can’t imagine the shipping credit offsets are input by human hands or I would assume poor training/oversight.

There should just be a shipping offset column, that would solve it. It would keep them out of the promo rebates and the FBA fees.

I’m doing some creative sorting to parse out the separate values to get an accurate picture.
Shipping credits as promo rebates
Shipping credits as FBA Fee components
Promo rebates that are true promotion costs

Luckily I do not have true promo rebates on any FBA orders so I don’t have more than one complication per row.

My quantity discount promos are based on shipping savings and don’t work with FBA orders because there are no fee savings on multiple item FBA orders. There probably should be, certainly Amazon saves on shipping multiples vs single item shipping cost the same as I do.

I run date range reports for various other reasons throughout the year so I do remember where they are.
FBA reports, not so much. There are so many I can’t remember which columns are included where!

1 Like

My apologies for not noticing this question early but I have noticed over years that many of the promotional rebates are actually a credit card benefit between the buyer, Amazon, and the credit card company.

Our Shipworks software will actually show us the name of the promotional rebate. That is how I found the relationship between the credit card promotion on orders for FBA or MFN (also known as FBM).

1 Like

Interesting. Since they are shown as shipping credits the credit card promos must be covering shipping cost?

1 Like

:thinking: I know that sometimes PayPal or the Shop app will offer “free shipping”…

I was not aware of that. It must be what those promos are. I wish they were separated from Amazon Advertising promotions though.

I have a long wish list for Amazon, can one dream?

1 Like