Lies, Damn Lies, and Amazon Assurances

See this? Unil this morning, this had said 7/28/23. Now it says 8/3/23. Amazon just gives itself an extension, as if it had never committed to a date before, and there is no one to complain to about this, as there is apparently no transaction log (or, more likely, no one who knows what a transaction log even is that works the phones) to check.

The entire concept of “inventory planning” for Amazon seems to be a matter of throwing pallet loads of goods at them, in hopes of seeing about 2/3rd of it not misplaced, and eventually (after a one-month lag) distributed about the country at various FCs that may or may not be close to the customer.

Well said.

In Amazon’s defense, it must be admitted that on a macro scale, its predictive logistics solutions have done a better-than-fair job in satisfying the parameters which have been set.

The problem arises on a micro scale, and Amazon’s Byzantinely-intricate bureaucratic infrastructure virtually ensures that rather-indiscriminately slinging a sledgehammer will be generally be preferred over cautiously wielding a scalpel…

GIGO.

3 Likes

If there were only some way to TELL them what one knows from decades of experience in niche markets…

For example - For my niche product, larger size packages are invariably ordered by people WEST of the Mississippi, while the majority of overall orders are EAST of the Mississippi. So, consumption follows the population mix, and stop sending so many of the smaller-sized packages to places like Detroit and Texas.

I know this is absolutely true. But Amazon may take decades to learn this.

But logistics are a funny thing…

Sometimes it is cheaper and quicker to get from Denver to Atlanta than from Mobile to Atlanta…

1 Like

Naw, the game is to have the goods in a warehouse that is less than a day’s drive from the buyer, so that Amazon Prime-eligible goods result for the bulk of the population. This is far easier than it may sound, see the map below - more people live in the red counties than in all the gray counties.

Well…, let me put it to you this way

1 Like

Frontier? Wow, talk about living dangerously!

I will stick to my lovingly restored 1955 Bonanza V-Tail, as I spent most of the COVID lockdowns putting a brand-spankin’ new Garmin Nav system into her, so now she’s wired for the 21st century, and the toy does everything, likely even make coffee (I have not gotten that far into the manual yet).
The certified inspector signed off, so I guess I can still solder, bundle and label cables correctly.

1 Like