New Amazon FBM procedure: Recovering the refund amount or item on claims for late deliveries

Interesting…
Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 17-12-13 Amazon

3 Likes

Interesting, yes. If it works as advertised, it’s a step in the right direction.
However, this is still a less significant issue then my personal pet peeve, where buyers return an item and then file an immediate AtoZ.

1 Like

Interesting, but all they are going to do is ask the customer to return the item or cancel the refund. That’s not action in my eyes.

3 Likes

Cancelling the refund is something. It’s no longer taking my money for nothing.

2 Likes

They are asking the customer to cancel the refund. I don’t believe amazon will cancel it for them.

3 Likes

Oh. Yes, I reread that more carefully and I see that they are not cancelling the refund they are asking the buyer to do so.

Yeah, that’s totally meaningless BS. Thanks for nothing.

4 Likes

This will be interesting …

1. Will Amazon be asking the customer to cancel something that has already been granted and received by the customer? (Doubt the customer is going to give back money)
  2. Does this mean there will be a cancel button on the customer’s order page next to an order that has been granted the A to Z claim?
  3. Or will Amazon now be holding A to Z claims until 30 days after the last expected delivery date?
  4. If Amazon isn’t holding the funds, is Amazon going to recharge the customer’s credit card?
  5. How many charge backs will this create? (Will the seller hold the bag for these charge backs?)

Deck the halls with cans of worms … fa la la la la … la la la …

1 Like

If Amazon asks that the Buyer either returns the item or cancels the refund, and the Buyer does neither…I suspect that Amazon will keep that info annotated to the account and possibly do something with it.

As a non-scammy Buyer, I would be quick to act to keep my account in good standing, personally.

3 Likes

Report the buyer to the carrier. Every time.
We started doing this several months ago.
Two situations buyers called us angry, we told them either return or pay for the item, carrier told them theres a possibility they will no longer receive deliveries if continued reports come in.
Neither buyer has either paid or returned.
I think carriers are also getting tired of these false claims as well, USPS tells us to always report these buyers.
Theft is theft no matter how you steal. And these people are stealing.

5 Likes

Not everyone has the same high moral standards.
And I wouldn’t be surprised if some of these buyers call C/S and of course are told “don’t worry just keep it” and are satisfied with that response, validates the theft for them.

3 Likes

So are states.

I think there are at LEAST 5 states with new laws targeting porch pirates, making it a felony.

2 Likes

So then with a felony, they can not buy a gun to break into the house…

Stealing from a store, the USPS, a porch, etc., is so acceptable now. I remember when my children “picked something up” at the store, we took them back to return it and apologize. Heck, I remember being taken back to return and apologize.

Sort of “Life long learning, for life.” Now society teaches people (hooligans’, criminals, etc.) that it is ok.

No wonder our ecommerce field has so much shrinkage. A few months ago I had to beg an Amazon (Customer Facing) CSR not to refund me. I just wanted the package TBA had not delivered. They still did the refund.

3 Likes

This is one of those laws we shouldn’t need, but here we are.

NOTE: This is not a political statement. Porch Pirates have been a thing for many years now.

2 Likes

EDIT to correct the record, There are now NINE states.

2 Likes

This seems to be an “out” for Amazon. In the event of a carrier contacting a buyer regarding continual package INR issues, the buyer can no longer say “Amazon told me to keep it free”.
Bet these new laws have something to do with AZ’s action as they will now be able to show the buyer is being contacted for payment and has either compiled or refused. Interesting.

2 Likes

Posted today… We are in Pennsylvania

3 Likes

How do we do this?

2 Likes

If it’s USPS you can file online (I’ll get you the link).
We have a great relationship with our local office and the postmaster
asks us to report it to him directly. He has made a few calls using the phone number Amazon provides -which he is permitted to do as he’s the carrier - letting the buyer know the postal system is aware they accepted merchandise they did not pay for and providing our phone number for resolution. There have been a few instances where the buyer did call us and offer payment.
UPS - we file a claim. If the claim is denied we contact our account rep who has encouraged us to let her know about these "problematic addresses. In the last call she mentioned that if there are enough “claims” or reports about an address they will require a signature without the shipper requesting it or delivering a call tag that requires the recipient to pick up the package at their local UPS hub.
We also report the buyer to amazon through the “report abuse” link providing the tracking showing delivery and their claim showing they were refunded. We know Amazon does nothing but I think if a buyer account has enough of these claims (the reason it’s so important to report) there may be some consequence for their account.

4 Likes

i’d love to have the link as well

1 Like

Basic Instruction Page
File a USPS Claim: Domestic … ( for US customers )

It requires that you sign up for an account with USPS. Once you do, then the links on the above page will get you to filing for a refund claim.

4 Likes