Question about AI images

I read our April discussion on AI crochet patterns, but started another topic to address intellectual copyrights.

If I create an image in an AI program such as Microsoft Copilot, and then paste Meredithbead jewelry onto my AI “model” — who has intellectual rights to this picture? I know I’m OK with private use, but what if I’m using this image to sell a product, even though I’m not selling the AI image itself?

I would make the actual product, take pictures of the product, and paste my pictures onto an AI generated model. Ethically, I see no difference between this and taking pictures on a mannequin, but are there legal stipulations?

3 Likes

Probably not yet because AI is so new and essentially unregulated. I believe the various AI tools do have terms of use / conditions and the last time I checked ChatGPT there didn’t seem to be any limitations of use of what it generates.

5 Likes

thank you!

1 Like

Note well that the U.S. Copyright Office has a policy that there is no copyright protection for works created by non-humans, including machines.

So, your AI-created image cannot be copyrighted, but one that you edit and modify, even slightly, in some noticeable and tangible way, CAN be copyrighted, even if what you started out with was AI-generated.

So, tweak the images, and remember to file that copyright, on both the images and the listing text.

4 Likes

Pretty crazy what ChatGPT comes up with.

We have a subscription for the business. Typed in - “create a picture showing a woman drinking a fizzy drink on the beach” - 10 seconds later, you get this:

Yea, looks fake, but not really if you didn’t think that this was possible.

1 Like

“I :heart_hands: escaping to the deserted early morning beach to drink my Alka Seltzer in peace after a sleepless night and no help, far from the husband and six alternately sick/scared kids in one hotel room who make it necessary.”

3 Likes

I began doing this last year and am satisfied with the results.

Marilyn

3 Likes