Question on refunding a returned (USPS) order

As Amazon will mess with you whenever it can, I just want to cover my butt as much as possible.

I shipped out an order through USPS. They said the order was not deliverable to the address and the forwarding information was expired, so they are returning it to sender.

The customer is aware of this and messaged me that they did not get their order.

Do I give them the INR template, and ask them to start a return, or do I just refund their order now? What is the best way to prevent as much of a headache as possible? Shipping for this order was NOT purchased through Amazon.

Thanks,

3 Likes

As far as I can see, it will be dependent on your metrics. I NEVER refund anything until I have the item in my hands.

A number of years back I had a ā€˜buyerā€™ that had their mail held at the PO, waited until it was ā€˜being returnedā€™ according to the PO scan, and then, SOMEHOW had it rerouted to THEM instead of me!

They got the money on an INR and also got the items ā€“ over $100 of guitar picks.

I get it I refund. NOT before. And I do NOT use Amazon buy shipping either.

6 Likes

This right here is key.

If the customer opens an AtoZ for INR, they will be granted an instant refund, from you, and your metrics will take a hit because Amazon shipping was not used.

Normally I am with @dwat0870 and would say do not refund until you get it back, but if you can see it on itā€™s way back (aka gone from delivery post office), in this situation I would say refund the ITEM (not any shipping the customer paid). If the item was shipped with free shipping, refund in full.

10 Likes

@SoldBySelf any update? On the off chance that you havenā€™t taken action yet, definitely donā€™t direct the Buyer to INR A-to-z. Do consider opening a case to report that Buyer address as undeliverable.

3 Likes

Unfortunately I already directed one to open the INR. There are two that ended up being undeliverable. I got one item back (the one I directed the buyer to INR).

The second one the person asked about delivery, and I let them know that the USPS said their forwarding info was expired. I posted their address to them and told them they needed to ensure they have the correct address. They still want the book, but I donā€™t want to resend it to the same undeliverable address, and donā€™t want to send it to any address not listed in the order, so should I just refund them when the book comes back to me and suggest they update their address and just order again?

Is that something people do? Iā€™ve never heard of that.

1 Like

We have a template for ā€œBad Addressā€

Dear [BUYER_NAME]
Order [ORDER_ID]

Your order came back or is coming back to us due to an insufficient address.

You will be refunded.

Please update the shipping address associated with your Amazon account before reordering

Thank you.

8 Likes

Yes, because doing anything else causes multiple risk factors.

If you were to just ship to a NEW address you either canā€™t put in a new tracking number OR you put one in and get hit for a late shipment because the new # over rides the original.

In either case shipping to an address that is not on the order cancels any of the (small) protections offered by Amazon.

5 Likes

Ours is very much the same ā€¦ we state that it is being returned by USPS and put in whatever reason USPS provides as to why it was not delivered ā€¦ insufficient / undeliverable / expired forward ā€¦

4 Likes

We attach a screenshot, as explained here.
Also stops all ODR A-to-Z hitsā€¦If A-to-Z it always says this when Amazon reviews :

Why is this happening?

The customer reported an issue with delivery. In this case, the tracking information indicates delivered, but the customer did not receive the package. Because you provided sufficient information that proves order was actually received by the customer, we will not count the claim against your Order Defect Rate.

2 Likes

Yep, have them order again with the correct address

3 Likes

Thanks all for the wonderful (as usual) advice! Much appreciated. And for the message template!

5 Likes