Should RMA's stay open until the end of January for holiday returns if initiated in November?

I know customers have until the end of January to return merchandise. But if someone opens an RMA at the beginning of November, and it’s been 30 days, does anyone foresee an issue with closing out the request? 9 out of 10 times when it’s been a month, the customer has no intention of returning the item. There’s more of a chance of the product getting damaged and the seller being taken advantage of.

I would leave the Return Request alone since they have until January 31, 2024.

In my opinion, closing a valid return request would be against Amazon Policy.
Unless one of the drop-down reasons applied correctly. (ex: duplicate return request or Partial refund issued)

2 Likes

So “officially” Amazon does not have a return by date. YES the mods have said they do, and YES it’s in policy, BUT if someone returns something late, and you refuse to refund anything esp with a valid opened (at some point) return request, you will have to do something with it, cause we all know an AtoZ will fall in favor of the customer!

4 Likes

I foresee an issue. The thing is, you foresee it too. If 9/10 times the buyer doesn’t return the item after a month, then 1/10 times they do. If you close a valid return after 30 days when the return is valid for longer, you will just be creating problems for yourself. Considering the advantage of closing the return early is only that it de-clutters your dashboard a little, I’d say that’s probably not worth it.

3 Likes

Gotcha, that’s what I figured. Just wanted to check with the veterans here. We’re just sick of being taken advantage of. We appreciate the responses. We’ve been leaving everything open. Can’t wait for Feb 1st…

4 Likes

It’s always a good day

3 Likes

And you’re definitely not alone in that. Check out the recent topics about friendly-fraud – return fraud is REAL, and Amazon is the champ at enabling it. :expressionless:

2 Likes

I hear you. I file SAFE-T claims with the righteous vengeance of a wrathful zealot. Buyer beware, this seller does not accept used trash as a legitimate return. Nope.

4 Likes

I heard this stated with “Samuel L Jackson Pulp Fiction” level of passionate commitment.

2 Likes

It’s not easy to find a pulp fiction “Clean” GIF

2 Likes

I know that auto authorized returns do not have this option, but in Handmade category where there are only manually authorized returns, I always put in my return instructions to “return in new condition within 14 days for full refund” just to give the buyer added pressure to make a prompt return.

4 Likes

That’s a good idea. Is this where you would change to manual (seller)? Under RMA?

My limit is about 100 days. After that, unless the item is defective or under warranty, it is too late. I will offer the buyer their item back, but that’s their problem. Any earlier than that and the risk of Amazon slapping me with a metrics hit and a full refund is too high.

3 Likes