That's a new one.... - Supplements no longer show review count and stars in search

Not sure if it’s any other category but there isn’t a supplement on Amazon that is showing the number of reviews or star count.

Thanks Amazon for picking our category to test whatever this is… :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Not removed in our category …

Edit - in your category, the item pages still have the ratings (just not the search) …

2 Likes

You’re in supplements?

Looks like most if not all of food is gone too.

Haha, yes, I know. That would have been a much more panicked thread with flames and ■■■■…

2 Likes

No … we are not in supplements or food …

A lot of changes going on … our Manage Order page showed up with a change this morning … right column does not have the options as buttons … now it has a drop down selection

2 Likes

Search algorithms were tampered with as well. We lost out badges and rank for half of the day after exclusively having everything to the good for years.

That reverted a short time ago. Thanks again Amazon. You rock! :tada:

4 Likes

Health and household and beauty are facing this as well… It looks like most of the consumable categories are. Office consumables are not affected.

We are seeing the same on the Italian marketplace too.

I am pretty sure this won’t last long. It’s a bad user experience. I believe Amazon is doing some testing for some metrics.

2 Likes

Weird. You can still, as a customer, sort by customer rating, or filter by 4* & up, but you just kinda have to trust Amazon that they’re working as intended, since it doesn’t show the star ratings or number of reviews.

2 Likes

I guess that’s one way to reduce the impact of review manipulation.

3 Likes

Another thing I just noticed, that “5K+ bought in the past month” text is also gone from the search results.

If anything that’s one of the most important/relevant things since it shows which products are popular/widely accepted. And it’s hard to manipulate that number short of spending tens of thousands of dollars buying your own products.

3 Likes

IDK how I missed that but you are right…

2 Likes

Amazon is most likely responding to this…

Federal Trade Commission Announces Final Rule Banning Fake Reviews and Testimonials

The rule will allow agency to strengthen enforcement, seek civil penalties against violators, and deter AI-generated fake reviews

FTC bans fake online reviews, inflated social media influence; rule takes effect in October

4 Likes

Amazon’s been cracking down on fake reviews for a while now. There’s no shortage of sellers suspended for this reason.

2 Likes

I’ve seen this test before. Has nothing to do with any federal action. If it did, it would be universal. Further to that, since when is it illegal to display how many units have sold of something which is also involved here?

They are gathering data for something by not displaying review count / stars / unit volume.

2 Likes

I don’t doubt that this is indeed what is currently going on - like you, I’ve seen this sort of split-testing before - yet I don’t think that necessarily precludes preparing for the looming enforcement with just that sort of data-gathering regimen (and/or something similar).

1 Like

But what if those numbers are fake or incorrect?

That would be misleading the consumer …

2 Likes

They are actually below reality based on everything we sell. Unsure how they could be manipulated either.

2 Likes

Psst - Hey, pal: I know a guy… :smirk:

3 Likes

Test is over on the App. Still going on desktop

3 Likes