What is this label? Can I ignore it?

Hi,
Last year, I over stocked a product. To save the IPI score, I had to create a removal order to bring back half of it to my house. Now I’m ready to send them back to Amazon. I noticed that Amazon put a weird label (see the picture below) on every unit.

This label is very sticky and will not come off easily. Every time when I manage to pull one corner, the label broke. I’ve got about 500 units that have this sticky label. Do I have to remove it before sending the inventory back to Amazon? Please advise.

Yes you have to cover these. These would be removed/returned and are indistinguishable from fillable and unfillable inventory (at least from my recollection).

Cover these with SKU labels even though you may have the ASIN printed on them. Make sure it is wide enough to cover the entire print.

If you are the brand owner - and they are indistinguishable from new, my understanding is that they should be fine to resend, but cover that sticker well.

I’ve only had to do this once years ago to about 800 units

2 Likes

Thanks. Does it have to cover the entire print? I thought that as long as I cover enough that the print cannot be scanned, it should work, right? It’s annoying that these labels are bigger than my standard 30 per page labels :expressionless:

Ok, you beat me there :slight_smile:

1 Like

My guess is enough to cover it so it can’t be scanned - but amazon also researches each shipment you send (a few pieces from your entire stock) - I honestly don’t know what that entails, but they do it. So I suppose you want to do it in a way that hedges for any risk. That’s the best I got.

:raised_hands:

2 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up that Amazon does research on the shipment (I wonder why). I’ll try to peel and cover to make it impossible to “do research”.

2 Likes

Putting too many labels on top of each other looks bad to the customer, so try not to have to cover more than 1 label on an item. Also, hair dryers make getting the Amazon labels off easier. Still not reasonable to have to do to 500 units, I know.

4 Likes

Totally agree. I had in my mind from the beginning as well. I don’t know whether Amazon intentionally use the sticker that’s hard to peel. They could have used Stick-it. After all, items are in the box. No need to use super strong glue label. Sigh…

1 Like

I ordered an Oontz speaker and it was delivered overnight from a local Kohls - it had Kohls labeling. Interesting enough it also had the removal sticker on it although the item was in pristine condition - so it was either new and just overstock and then sent back or it was repackaged after whatever process the brand/company has to resell returns.

Just thought I’d share.

I thought LPN labels were only used on customer returns, I don’t remember having them on overstock removals.

2 Likes

At the time I had the LPN stickers on pristine brand new returns that were outside of unfillable quantities. And apparently very similar experience with an item I ordered from Oontz comment right above yours.

2 Likes

Overstock returns, not customer returns? Interesting. My overstock recalls do not come back with LPN labels. Maybe it depends on category.

1 Like

This was 2 years ago but yes on overstock returns not customer returns.

1 Like

To be fair, I remain convinced that that’s actually Amazon’s intent with springing for the cost of extremely ‘tacky’ PVA-based adhesives for LPN labels (an ‘Amazonese’ acronym for “License Plate Number”) - not the least impetus of which, methinks, is to prompt 3P Sellers/1P Vendors to engaging its own Prep Service.

Years ago, we used to occasionally receive Removal Orders where the LPN number wasn’t an actual label affixed to the goods’ packaging, but instead appeared on the packing slip, or on the shipping label itself, or even stamped on the box.

Over the years, more than a few of the seasoned & savvy forum veterans posted LPN-handling Tutorials in the ASF (“Amazon Seller Forums”); I myself still consider @Old-Timer’s 3Feb2020 tutorial posts to this still-available thread (link, NSFE) among the Gold Standards.

2 Likes

Covering just a small vertical portion of the code will cause it to not scan.

With that said, I wouldn’t put it past Billy at FBA from tagging you for multiple codes though so take my correct initial direction with a microgram of salt. Amazon always finds a way to screw its selling partners.

No relevant experience with resubmitting product with a label covering the LPN label, but knowing retail customers, I suspect that doing so will make some buyer believe they are getting Used Sold As New.

2 Likes

Yup. Lots of stickers = not a new product. (to the customer’s eyes). And many now know that LPN means a prior return.

2 Likes

As long as they don’t complain to Amazon that it’s a used item, we’re fine. I only sell brand new products, mostly private labels. I had one customer who told Amazon that the product was second hand. Amazon believed her and suspended my listing for while. Yeah only 1 out of over 10K of orders of this product. Ridiculous.

1 Like