Amazon no longer requesting COIs?

The last COI I submitted expired 2 months ago, and I have not received any notifications/emails requesting a new one. In the past they would request a new one like clockwork a few days after the policy end date and follow up weekly until you submit it.

Our COI expired in July and we did get a notice about it. My boss did not act on it immediately, and there was no followup from Amazon.

That said, I can’t believe Amazon stopped requiring them. I think they just taking responsibility for chasing sellers who don’t keep it up to date. If something goes wrong and a seller doesn’t have it, I have no doubt that Amazon will point to their clearly posted (for anyone who cares enough to look) requirements that sellers have insurance.

2 Likes

The requirement existed well before they started checking for them. I believe they started checking for them in response to losing some kind of product liability lawsuit where Amazon had to pay up for a 3P seller that disappeared after the incident.

Maybe they decided the cost of checking COIs exceeds any potential liability now?

1 Like

Or that they have covered their liability more thoroughly.

But yes, it seems that they have stopped actively hounding sellers to supply COI information.

2 Likes

Amazon has adopted a policy of make as much money as possible, no matter what.

What does that mean for sellers???

• You can get away with pretty much anything now.
  • Yanked listings are a rarity now instead of being common place.
  • Any policy (like COI checking), that prevents sales, is no longer policy.

Amazon can always fall back on the policy and take legal action if something comes up but the fact remains that they are making more money this way, and that’s the way they like it.

#sadbuttrue

I am seeing sellers in my category going literally buck wild. It’s REALLY hard to find an honest, truthful listing now in my space. We are literally the only one in our top selling niche. The rest are false advertising on at least 3 facts or loaded up with fake reviews, or a combo of both.

Somebody is going to die because of some of this stuff that I am seeing but Amazon doesn’t give a ■■■■. Believe me, we tried to point this out to SAS, seller support, brand registry, abuse reports. They literally don’t care. How do I know that? Let’s take this quote from the SAS escalation manager:

“This does not affect your account”

But it affects all our accounts when buyers lose trust and look to shop elsewhere.

1 Like

You know it.

Steve knows it.

We all know it - even Seattle’s panjandrums know it.

Still, I would suggest that they - said Powers That Be - are quite obviously banking on another play in their House Of Cards, as has always been the case since Bezos’ fervor first captivated Wall Street, with what was then but little other than smoke & mirrors.

“It’s hard to argue with success,” ‘they’ say - but ‘they’ also say this:

“…Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall…”

It remains to be seen which side of the debate will prevail, in the long run - but there’s a reason behind Jeff’s stark admission, some years back, that he has little faith in Amazon’s long-term viability as the go-to resource for consumer goods (Call him what you will, but call him not a dummy).

2 Likes

I did get a notice but no follow up and no health violations

While that’s a concern, that’s something where 3P sellers actually have the advantage.

If buyers go elsewhere in large enough numbers, we can follow the buyers and Amazon’s the one that’s stuck with a declining business.

2 Likes

This is the second time you have made me look up a word.

Only two times … impressive …

4 Likes

The first time it was something in Latin, which I never studied.

We are waiting for the day that @Dogtamer uses one that renders Google useless …

It could happen

{{{ That will be the day we know we’re in serious trouble … }}}

Last email

It was just the one.

Just got my second notice today. Guess they’re keeping on top of it.

Just updated my COI - don’t think its optional - amazon is just being a tad lax of enforecment. Wouldn’t fuq with it tho.

3 Likes

Just got a confirmation that my insurance was validated this morning. It is being done manually. How do I know you ask? Because in their confirmation they called my entity something I never heard of - which was also in queue to receive a similar message or to be reviewed.

Hello PooPooPeePee LLC,

Thank you for providing your proof of commercial liability insurance for the products you sell through Amazon stores. We completed our initial review of your submission for compliance with the commercial liability insurance requirements found in “Commercial Liability Insurance Policy.” We may contact your insurer periodically to check the status or to verify the existence of the underlying policy. If the policy is canceled, altered or does not provide the coverage identified in the certificate of insurance (COI) you submitted, we will reach out to you to submit proof of a new commercial liability insurance policy.

Just got my reminder that I have 30 days to upload a current one.

2 Likes

Interesting how this seems to be different for everyone. I don’t upload my new docs until pretty close, and sometimes beyond the date of expiration because we never get reminders, on either account.

With what we sell, you would think Amazon would be a little more diligent to ensure compliance.

I also find it interesting that Walmart has never come knocking for a COI since we are well beyond the threshold for providing one. I did get one for them, just waiting to see if they ask for it out of curiosity because that’s just the kind of guy that I am. lol

1 Like

Honestly, that circumstance would seem, to me, to be more-likely to result from the machine-side of the Review process rather than the human - and that particular consideration, when it arises, always gives me pause.

As all of us who’ve been around the block a time or two, battling the beast, know all too well, manifold are the instances where Amazon’s automated mechanisms pull data out of it’s keister the deep, dark, poorly cobbled and badly coded recesses of it’s far-flung Global Enterprise Domain.

Many are the occurrences when some data-deduplication (or other) backup regimen, daily system refresh routine, improperly-formatted database query, or unforeseen happenstance (just to name a few common possibilities) toggles the wrong gate, allowing long-discarded data to overwrite current status in the machine, and thereby be considered, NOW, authoritative by said automated mechanisms - which is sadly a movie we’ve all seen far too many times before when Sailing The River…

Other than the misidentification of your Business Entity in the Salutation, that templated response is what we ourselves have been receiving yearly since the Business Liability Insurance Compliance went into effect (and it’s only slightly re-worded from the earlier template of previous years) - but were we to receive such a glaring error in a response from Amazon on matters like these, I’d be sorely tempted to create a SeSu case, politely pointing out the error in a short, succinct fashion, and accompanied by a request for escalation to a higher tier of Amazon’s support infrastructure for a more-authoritative review of the discrepancy - with the end goal of attempting to ensure that I didn’t get caught up in needlessly-harmful switches.

There are times when I consider it advisable to let sleeping dogs lie, but there are also occasions when I think it wiser to tack along a different course.

2 Likes