[AMZ] Changes to required attributes for product listings

Changes to required attributes for product listings

Sure to cause issues for all of us at some point and let’s be a little more vague Amazon.

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/headlines.html?ref=nswg_scgw_GRZTFE6VPBYU2855_en_US_0_nslp&id=GRZTFE6VPBYU2855&communicationDeliveryId=0be93360-712c-43de-9746-98490269a115

5 Likes

Some attributes will be removed.

Watch the keyword attribute page

Keyword attributes explained

Notice the column labeled values as it has several attributes that are

being phased out

If you have anything in these attributes, you might want to copy the data into excel as a reference. Some of our listings have been used as a beta with attributes changes and many of the keyword attributes disappeared a time back on us.

Whether this is going to be the time or not for the keyword attributes, we don’t know … but do know that it must be in the works.

3 Likes

Excellent advice; as you alluded, back in April of this year in this long-running thread (link, SAS) on the Product Types & Attributes/Attribute Harmonization/Size Normalization Initiative(s), the SHC’s Updated attributes within the Add Products and Add Products via Upload interface (link, Seller Central) which is linked in today’s News Headline also bears monitoring.

3 Likes

@Dogtamer @oneida_books @Lost_My_Marbles @Tallytony

Y’all (and others I can’t recall right this minute) know Amazon reports and feeds. Like…know them. :eyes:

What are your right-now recommendations for Sellers to preserve and protect their listings’ data as-is, for future reference?

2 Likes

I believe - religiously - in keeping an eye of things with the archiving of pertinent reports on a regular basis.

As I’ve propounded both here and there many times, CLR/RFRs (“Category Listing Reports”/Reverse Feeds Reports") are USUALLY the most valuable in keeping track like this - but as our friend @casbboy’s last reply upthread starkly illustrates, there simply isn’t a magic bullet when the equation includes various well-siloed (& not always well-intentioned, and - more-often than not, dadgummit - poorly-coordinated) teams sticking their thumbs into the pie, a problem which is compounded by the interminable process of passing things up & down the chain of command of Amazon’s internal infrastructure hierarchy.

It’s a never ending battle to keep up, but I sincerely think that the best we can do is to keep a sharp eye peeled on the tools which Amazon provides, with particular focus on changes which aren’t always immediately transparent from News Headlines & SHC policy pages.

2 Likes

This :arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_up:
And we keep our old excel category specific templates that we have uploaded as reference.

Agree … keeping your :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: eyeballs looking often turns up the most hidden gems of knowledge.

If you always do templates, take the time to see what your item looks like in the Manage Edit page. If you always do the Manage Edit page, take the time to learn how to do excel category specific templates.

If you see a change, let others know. If your account shows differences in format on the Manage Edit page, research the difference and do a forum post for others to check theirs. Amazon tends to use certain accounts as test accounts when they are playing around. We have seen several minor changes happen to our listings over time and have seen these changes become a rollout later down the road. For us it is easy to tell when they are messing around as all of our products fall under the same category and format. Amazon tends to change 25% to 50% of the listings but rarely all of them. This makes it easy for us to compare what they are doing.

But in the end … it’s documentation and excel files for us.

2 Likes

I agree on the CLR/RFRs (Amazon created), but not so much on any uploaded templates (seller created).

Overall, I don’t see anything that a seller can really do other than that … and even that won’t stop anything. It just might help though in proving what existed before when combating changes.

1 Like

Yes, this is also my position as well; what we’ve found over the years, however, is that there’s often a lag between the disparate databases which support the Inventory Reports Database & those which support the Add a Product & Add Products via Upload functionalities.

In Q3 of2015, back in the day when it wasn’t particularly difficult to get a member of the Catalog Team (and/or the FBA/FC Team) on the horn if one knew how to suppress the gatekeeping mechanisms emplaced to prevent wasted effort, I was rather skeptical when, in an hours-long conversation, one of the former team’s crackerjack experts imparted that tidbit of knowledge.

Nonetheless, when I had occasion to engage the same functionality the following year (Q2 of 2016), yet another high-performing member of the Catalog & FEEDS Department reinforced the same notion as being real, and as commanding in many a circumstance; as a result, I began to conduct - somewhat languorously, admittedly - experimentation seeking to substantiate the phenomenon as empirically-demonstrable.

The initial results indicated that it was, and further investigations since that time - which ramped up greatly with the advent of the original Product Types & Attributes Initiative in 2019, as every time a News Headline addressed to it (and/or its ‘successor’ Amazon Initiatives, Attribute Harmonization & Size Normalization) appears, we are sparked to make new comparisons, entailing the downloading and examination of more templates - have yet to belie what those Amazonians sagely advised, which is why I agree with what our friend Marbles says here:

In more than one instance, we’ve been able to force through a feed Upload (flat-file, not XML) only after I’ve modified a latest CLR/RFR with Valid Values, cribbed from the latest Leaf Node-targeted flat-file template, which didn’t appear in the former file at all.

This latter observation pulled our fat out of the fire more than once in the years before we achieved gating, sometimes for changes made by interlopers, and elsewise for changes made by Amabots; the 2017 gating has kept the former largely at bay, but we’ve had occasion to employ that same regimen for the latter phenomenon, successfully, a time or more since.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.