Fun with Wild Animals

IMG_5480

17 Likes

I suspect that our friend Prime is right - Ollie can expect an invitation to become a NYC-sanctioned “Code Inspector” any day now.

6 Likes

Here I am: a hunka hunka burning love
Cat Tnder is getting steamy these days…

7 Likes

The Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show was held this week and the Best in Show winner was Sage the Miniature Poodle. But, the most exciting part of the show was the agility competition won by Nimble, a mixed breed dog who posted the fourth fastest time ever. Go Nimble!

8 Likes

There have been many amazing runs through that obstacle course over the years, but AFAIC (“as far as I am concerned” in ‘modernese’) Nimble’s 2024 jaunt there takes the cake, hands down.

7 Likes

I’m not a big fan of dog shows, but seeing that agility run is absolutely amazing!

And I love the fact that a “mixed breed” won something.

10 Likes

Heck, I cannot even watch that fast.

8 Likes

That final jump into the handler’s arms! Pure joy! :heart_eyes:

9 Likes

16 Likes

And stop saying “Alexa” in commercials…

11 Likes

Well played chickens, well played.

12 Likes

14 Likes

25 pounds and over – man, that’s some loaf of bread!

We had a dog that loved bread – just to own, not to eat. French bread.

But a whole park for those dogs – wow!

8 Likes

She is “Computer” in our house.

Star Trek gets interesting!

7 Likes

and stop putting sirens in songs because it freaks me out when I’m driving.

14 Likes

I recently came across this article about the reintroduction of wolves in Yellowstone and cascading, trickle-down effects in the ecosystem.

Wolf Reintroduction Changes Yellowstone Ecosystem (yellowstonepark.com)

4 Likes

Interesting article and proves my point. Humans ARE predators and part of the ecosystem. I come from a family of hunters and have seen deer populations rise to the point where food was scarce in winter for the deer. If you looked through the forest you could see a line about the height of a deer where they had eaten all of the low hanging branches. I have also seen deer dead in that same woods because they had no food. It’s a long and agonizing death. Better someone harvest the extra and make use of the animal than this and game agencies recognize that fact. They control the number of hunting licenses (deer tags) based on populations in various regions. This is why there are lotteries in some places for deer and elk tags.

-Ana

6 Likes

Heck, I’m not a hunter, have no desire to be one, and consider myself very environmentally conscious, and I know that hunting not only supports environmental causes, but also is needed because of the previous elimination of predators from many ecosystems (which is not always a bad thing; but was often overdone).

And living in very densely populated northern NJ, I personally have no problem seeing the occasional coyote (even though they’re a bit scarier than the ones I saw when I lived in Arizona)

5 Likes

I had forgotten how this thread started, with ATV’s robin visit. A year later, about two weeks ago, this robin visited us. Exact same behavour, chase it away, it goes into a neaby tree, comes right back. Except in our case, putting things in the window such as cardboard or a plant holder that looks like a cat, did not deter. This bird stayed for ten days, until hubby got the idea of spraying it with the hose. It is very hard to sneak up on a robin with a hose :smile:

7 Likes

Today is National Hug a Cat Day. I believe an Ollie pic would be appropriate? Or Pumpkin or Magic or Porthos or Freya or Dewey or…

I really need a cat.

9 Likes