How is MakerPlace Doing?

Iā€™m now up to 10 sales out of 33 total for the same pair of earrings. Curious to see if maybe I was featured somewhere on MakerPlace, I searched via private window for several terms which described the earrings, and they never showed up before page 5 on any search. Iā€™m still clueless as to why this pair.

Edited to add:
I just now ran a private window Google search for the general description, and out of 2,490,000 results, Iā€™m on the top row of page 1. How did that even happen??? Because 10 whole sales is probably bupkes next to most of the items on that page.

3 Likes

Did you see thereā€™a a ā€˜noneā€™ now? I assume that means same day? I used that yesterday to see what happens - if it ever sells.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve sold the same set of 4 beach prints 4 or 5 times now - so they were either featured somewhere or they bump things in search that have sold like Etsy does.

3 Likes

I have to lean towards I think items being featured somewhere. Iā€™m up to 11 orders now (with about half of those purchasing 2 or more items) , and most of them have been my cat light switch covers. However I donā€™t seem to rank in search for cat at all? Sales really donā€™t seem to make a different in search placement.

3 Likes

One complaint: WHY do they use the same michaels @ emdeals email address for seller emails and marketing emails? Now that I am subscribed Iā€™m inundated with like 3 marketing SALE emails a day - itā€™s so annoying!

4 Likes

trying to go on vacation mode today, but 2FA is failing meā€¦says it sent the code (twice) and nope. Checked for spam and Iā€™ve previously gotten them. Can someone do a test login to tell me if itā€™s just me or not?

3 Likes

Every once in awhile thereā€™s like a 10 minute lag before it sends the code. But then you canā€™t use the 1st one it sends because now youā€™ve rolled to the 2nd one.

2 Likes

I just logged out and in ok but FWIW, yesterday my phone was logged out and when I logged back in, it offered different 2FA methods. I logged in with a text ok but it was something different going on.

2 Likes

yeah if it offered email iā€™d try that. Just logged in from my phone and same issue (and used another 2fa app that worked fineā€¦) itā€™s them, not me, but stillā€¦ hope to get this done.

My luck Iā€™d get my first sale then be away for 10 days lolā€¦

3 Likes

My bad. I was referring to Amazon mistakenly, but I have logged on Michaelā€™s today with 2FA email and the code was instant

2 Likes

just got 4 codesā€¦all expired now lol

4 Likes

The other day I was try to see if there is a way to change the methods of getting the codes (just for info), and didnā€™t see any way to do it. Guess weā€™ll have to contact their support to ask how if we really do want to change.

2 Likes

Michaelā€™s seller contests pay way more than Amazon Handmade contests

5 Likes

Well I can say itā€™s finally maybe made me think about getting motivated to maybe listing the missing 200 items or so I have on Etsy that are not on makerplace and finally spent yesterday photographing a backlog of 50 new itemsā€¦so itā€™s motivating me.

Which I actually find hilarious because I have no idea what I would even spend $50 at Michaelā€™sā€¦more craft supplies for the kids I guess :woman_shrugging:

My kid wanted to try out fondant on a cake and I remembered I had a $10 gift card from Michaelā€™s from the survey a few weeks? Months ago?

But super bonus points for trying! And Iā€™m also glad to see this happen before whatever ā€œroadmapā€ they are on for digital content listings that would clutter up the site.

4 Likes

Have you been to one lately? Theyā€™ve really expanded a lot beyond craft stuff! Great selection of frames, lots of seasonal and home decor things. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

My wife buys a lot of canvas from Michaelā€™s so she would be thrilled for that.

5 Likes

Iā€™m doing my 1st Q taxes and I donā€™t see anything to show me the # of sales for my state - correct? So yeah that stinks. I know they collect/remit, but my state asks for the total sales for my state.

2 Likes

Update: You can download all of your orders, but (naturally) they have the address all in one field. Iā€™ve asked if they could break out the state into itsā€™ own column so it can be sorted.

2 Likes

To be honest, and Iā€™m not saying you should, but my state reporting just provides a line for total sales and then a line for total exemption (Marketplace Facilitator). Since I ONLY do marketplace facilitator sales, I just put the all venues sales total and then exempt that same amount. Some day, I would not be surprised if the states will probably want to know how much sales for each MF venue at which point I would need to be exact for my state and maybe report each venue separately.

3 Likes