How to request Amazon-only barcoded ASINs to change to manufacturer barcode?

Hi all,

One of the drawbacks of Amazon discontinuing the Small and Light program was that their barcode service for those products went up from $0.10 per unit (which, admittedly, was really good) to $0.55. This might not sound like a lot, but it makes the difference for such products, which are low priced by nature.

I have a line of products that the manufacturer sends to Amazon directly for us, and our margins for those have been severely affected by this change. I’ve tried creating new listings for those products, but they only give the option of being barcoded by Amazon (no manufacturer barcoding), even though there are no other listings for each of them (many ASINs have duplicates in the marketplace, which I’ve previously seen causes this issue).

Has anyone succeeded at this before, or know what the best course of action is to request ASINs that are currently only eligible to be barcoded by Amazon to be added with the manufacturer barcode?

1 Like

This is only offered to brand registered sellers. At least that was our experience. We couldn’t (because of our category go MFG barcode), once we were BR, we could but we don’t anyway for a variety of reasons.

Are these your products that you have made? You can apply the FNSKU to your trade dress which is what we do. That comes with the occasional “SHIPMENT PROBLEM” email and hit from FBA for no apparent reason but for the most part it works great and there’s no work and no expense.

2 Likes

No; unfortunately, we’re not the manufacturer of the products.

1 Like

The basic requirements to use the Manufacturer Barcode for FBA inventory are:

• Be in new condition
  • Have a single, scannable UPC, EAN, or ISBN barcode matching a single ASIN in the Amazon catalog
  • Not be an FBA restricted product or a dangerous good
  • Not be an expiration-dated product
  • Not be a consumable or topical product (such as grocery items, skin creams, cosmetics, or soaps)
  • Not be a media product (such as books, CDs, VHS tapes, or DVDs)
  • Not be a product related to children or infants (such as toys or baby clothes)

Does your product line meet the above requirements?

If yes, here are some additional readings.
Switch from using Amazon barcodes to virtual tracking [link]
and the main page here
Using manufacturer barcodes with FBA virtual tracking [link]

And a quick screenshot

Side note: There is an Amazon News post about eliminating Amazon barcode labeling. It says,

To find out how much you can save, go to Growth Opportunities and select Eliminate Amazon barcode labeling in the Reduced cost drop-down menu.

4 Likes

@Gandalf

Interesting timing of this news piece from Amazon that just dropped…

Reduce FBA product barcode costs with Growth Opportunities

We’ve launched a new recommendation in the Growth Opportunities tool to help you save on barcode labeling costs.

Our ‘Eliminate Amazon barcode labeling’ recommendation identifies when you can use the manufacturer’s barcode, instead of adding a separate Amazon barcode label, when you send eligible FBA products to Amazon. Not having to add an extra barcode label saves you time and processing costs.

To find out how much you can save, go to Growth Opportunities and select Eliminate Amazon barcode labeling in the Reduced cost drop-down menu.

3 Likes

That is correct - all of these products meet those requirements. As mentioned in my original post, I’ve tried creating new listings for those ASINs, but they all say Amazon-barcode only.

However, the following report, appearing on your first link, is golden:

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/c2c/feeds

It states the reason why each listing is not eligible for manufacturer barcodes. I’ll look into each one to try to troubleshoot why. Thanks a lot!

4 Likes

https: //sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/headlines.html?ref=GAAAZPEVEWBBD75F

Wouldn’t touch it with a 10-foot pole.

Like you have implied doing upthread, we spring for the additional cost of variance in Trade Dress for different Marketplaces - NO commingling for us when Amazon’s thumb is stuck in the pie.

5 Likes

1 Like

I don’t understand why Amazon can’t just track the location of items with manufacturer barcode. Simply don’t stow units from different sellers in the same bin, the rest can be tracked electronically.

They got a trillion dollar logistics network, and can’t do this simple logic a high school student could code.

I would submit that it’s not about the code, it’s about the space - i.e., the real estate that would be required to provide separate bin locations assigned to every Thomas, Richard, and Henry who creates an FBA Inbound Shipment, for the same ASIN, for each and every final-order-dispatch location which might be required by other considerations of pre-placement/on-demand logistics.

To be fair, Amazon’s published policies pertaining to commingled merchandise in the AFN’s FCs/DCs/RCs/SCs does specify that proper allocation merely by automated mechanisms is possible - perhaps even the desired outcome - but I would defy anyone’s ability to make a convincingly-compelling case that the abundance of evidence hedging towards the contrary proposition holds no water.

1 Like

The thing is, each FC has like a million bins, it’s not really that hard to just not stow units of the same UPC belonging to different sellers in the same bin. The “random” way they store inventory means most likely that’s the case anyway.

It’s really simple. Amazon has their way of doing things. There are 2 options.

Comingle OR FNSKU to not comingle.

Amazon could do themselves a favor and say everyone is comingled and let the chips fall where they may so it’s actually nice that there’s an option.

I don’t need to tell you this but it’s Amazons sandbox and they allow us to play in it.

What is this randomness you speak of? You think they are scanning in FNSKU shipment plans and going back to find out what UPC is associated with that FNSKU and comingling the inventory anyway? I doubt that’s true.

How would the seller get THEIR inventory back then on a removal order? It matters when you are talking about things that have a specific lot / serial #…

1 Like

The picture in this article explains a lot. Every warehouse has millions of these little individual storage locations.

So let’s say seller A has inventory in slot A122E471 of UPC 573, no other seller will have UPC 573 in slot A122E471. There’s a million other slots to choose from. Even with 20 sellers with 100s of units each, there’d be no collisions needed.

1 Like

Amazon does state they attempt to keep comingled products separate but they will still use a closer Sellers stock to fulfill another Sellers orders.

I am under the impression that Billy at Amazon warehouse will store our UPC products in our own bin and will use our inventory for others as needed.

Amazon has shown the ability to bin check our UPC’s to verify our inventory was accurate which shown another seller didn’t match the product detail page correctly with their UPC somehow.

We do have a lot of UPC / comingled products. But a greater number of FNSKU products have increased over time.

4 Likes

Hola!

We have changed all our ASIN from FNSKU to Manufacturer Barcode. But we are the manufacturers… this may be an issue for you I think.

We were given the option to change and we didn’t hesitate… way easier to have the same barcode for all the marketplaces rather than having different ones.

Even if you are not the manufacturer itself, do you have the products with your brand and are you registered in Brand Registry?

Saludos!

2 Likes

Yeah, so if they have the ability to do this, they also have the ability to just track items based on UPC and bin location instead of FNSKU and bin location (and NOT comingle inventory)

My guess is one of the reasons to keep the FNSKU program active is they make a ton of money charging people 55 cents per label (as is the OP’s issue here)

¡Hola! No, the manufacturer of the products are the ones brand registered, not us. I’m going to look at the reasons stated in the aforementioned report preventing the products from being manufacturer-barcoded to see if I can get those fixed (most are inaccurate; i.e. “This item isn’t eligible for the manufacturer barcode because it has an expiration date”).

3 Likes

I see…

Any chance for your manufacturer to label your products with FNSKU instead of their manufacturer barcode? Maybe you have to pay an extra but it might be cheaper than Amazon.

3 Likes

I also thought of that, and the answer is most likely not - it would entail either changing their packaging process (barcodes are printed on the plastic packaging) or adding a new step to it, which I don’t think they’ll want to do.

2 Likes

I believe, and of course possibly wrong, that comingled inventory means that Sellers comingle their inventory for FBA distribution purposes and Amazon does separate the individual sellers’ stock.

2 Likes