I guess this should be in Amazon Buyer's category...

Today I received a refund from an Amazon order from 8/24/2022 for ASIN B00KWRM5Z4. I find no recall notices on Dewalt website and no real explanation in the refund notice other than “Item not satisfactory” on the refund email. I did not initiate this so I’m wondering how it happened if it was not a recall or such. If it was an order # entry error by the seller when processing the refund, well I feel for them as it will be impossible to get corrected with seller support. I would normally try and do the right thing and contact Amazon to investigate and correct but I’m not about to spend hours going around in circles. I guess I’ll at least give the seller a heads up and maybe I’ll get an explanation.

Hello,

We’re writing to let you know we processed your refund of $72.55 for your Order 114-6641442-9692267 from RB Tools.

This refund is for the following item(s):

Item: DEWALT 20V MAX XR Battery, Lithium Ion, 5.0Ah (DCB205)
Quantity: 1
ASIN: B00KWRM5Z4
    Reason for refund: Item not satisfactory

Here's the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Item Refund: $66.99
    Item Tax Refund: $5.56

We’ll apply your refund to the following payment method(s):

MasterCard Credit Card : $72.55

We’ve processed a refund for the above order in the amount of $72.55. The refund should appear on your account in 2-3 days if issued to a credit card.
Refunds issued to a bank account typically take 7-10 days to reflect on the account balance.

Have questions about our refund policy?
Visit our Help section for more information:

http://www.amazon.com/refunds

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sincerely,

Amazon.com
We’re Building Earth’s Most Customer-Centric Company http://www.amazon.com

Note: this e-mail was sent from a notification-only e-mail address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

1 Like

May I make so bold as to ask if this refund was applied to the same MasterCard that’s associated with your Credit Method Manager settings for your SoA Account?

yes

1 Like

on the backs of our ever delighted Sellers…

1 Like

Although it is not showing up yet on my CC recent transactions.

So true!

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/sp?seller=A2W1DGEFX558YB

Their storefront shows no items. Maybe they got suspended?

The reason I posed that question is two-fold:

1. I’ve long been wary of inadvertently triggering an unseen tripwire with Buyer-Seller Messaging Service communications to another 3P (or 1P) Seller from the associated Buyer Account (well do I remember our well-missed friend Rushdie’s travails, some years back and on a similar front shortly after Amazon began cracking down (under pressure on multiple regulatory and media fronts) on Product Reviews & Seller Feedback, when the idgit Amabots attacked her for no better reason than that they were programmed by folks who were pressed to utilize parameters passed down sans so much as an inkling of clear guidance by TPTB)

2. The apparently-ongoing “MasterCard Snafu” trending topic over in the NSFE (and in the SAS gives me both ‘pause’ and a wonderment of whether or not such an apparently-inexplicable initiation of an unsolicited Refund might be part and parcel of the same phenomenon.

2 Likes

Summary, for those not aware:

1 Like

Thank you, Mag - I became distracted before I fetched the link to that SAS thread, and exceeded the Discourse-imposed time limit on the Default Editing Window.

“Missed it by that much :pinching_hand:” (Well, at least that’s my story, and I’m sticking to it :upside_down_face:)

Looking at their feedback, it looks like some of the stuff they are selling are not genuine products…

I had this happen recently - I forget what it was for. Got the email that my refund had been processed - but I never filed a return request. It wasn’t for anything big, but it was weird.

I, like you, decided to just let it go - No time for chasing it down.

1 Like

Did it happen in the last few (couple?) weeks, when we discussed the Mastercard issue? Also, was the refund to a Mastercard? @Dogtamer might be right in thinking these invalid charge card (MasterCard) issues and mystery refunds to MasterCard are related.

1 Like

More to the point - recycle that counterfeit battery, or at least do not leave the room when it is charging. Counterfeit batteries have cause several fires when E-bikes were left to charge overnight, and a tool battery has enough mass to start a fire that could burn down your house.

2 Likes

Well, this is certainly a good point.

OP, how much does the battery weigh? The listing says it’s 1.4 pounds. If it’s lighter than that then it’s most likely fake. Fake batteries are usually much lighter since they skimped on the material required to hold a charge.

As @Uncle_Leroy suspected, I just noticed that 3 hours before the refund, I received this notice so it does appear it was a counterfeit issue. It appears and works like legit Dewalt but I guess it would be prudent to only charge it while outside or just recycle it.

Dear Customer,

We’re contacting you about order #114-6641442-9692267 for the following item(s):

DEWALT 20V MAX XR Battery, Lithium Ion, 5.0Ah (DCB205)

At Amazon, customer trust is our top priority, and we go to great lengths to provide you with vast and authentic selection, fast delivery, and low prices. As part of our ongoing efforts to ensure that you can shop with confidence in Amazon’s stores, we recently learned the product you received from a third-party seller is likely not an authentic Dewalt product. The inauthentic nature of this product also means that the product may present a potential safety risk, including in the case of food and health products labeling may not reflect the actual ingredients, which could lead to potential adverse health effects.

If you still have this product, we urge you to stop using it immediately and destroy or dispose of the item in a manner that will ensure it is not used by others. There’s no need for you to return the product. We’ve issued a refund of $72.55 to your original payment method. Refunds are applied to the payment method used for the original purchase and typically complete within 3 to 5 business days.

If you purchased this item for someone else, please notify the recipient and let them know they should stop using and dispose of the item.

Amazon has zero tolerance for counterfeit products. As a result, we’ve taken action against the supplier of this product and removed their ability to supply products for sale in Amazon’s stores. If you would like to purchase a replacement, authentic products are available in our store.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department

Amazon.com

www.amazon.com

Well, apparently this is an issue as they have a webpage dedicated to it:

Take a look and figure out if yours is real or not. If not then it should probably be tossed since it’s not worth the risk.

2 Likes

Interesting! After reviewing this notice, I checked the battery on a Dewalt tool I also purchased on Amazon and it was sold and shipped by Woot (Amazon) and by the example indicators it shows, that battery also appears to be counterfeit (both with “low dome” black headed screws. I will be calling Dewalt to verify at least in part the numbers on the battery as they say may be fictitious.

1 Like

When woot was woot, they often sold refurbed, liquidation, or products that come from other questionable means, hence the deal prices. I dont know if their business model is still the same, but if those tools came from questionable sources it wouldn’t surprise me if they were fake.

2 Likes

I sent this product question to Woot. We’ll see what their response is. They have 48 hours to respond. We’ll see if they get a ding on their message response time LOL

“I purchased a battery on order number 114-6641442-9692267. Yesterday I received a refund and notice to dispose the battery as it was deemed counterfeit from the seller. This prompted me to check the battery on this order shipped and sold by “Woot”(order # 114-3579548-0687462 ) against Dewalt’s website page ( https://support.dewalt.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360061447531-How-to-identify-counterfeit-DEWALT-Batteries) on how to identify counterfeit Dewalt batteries. The battery on this order (114-3579548-0687462) appears to be counterfeit as well as it too has the low dome black headed screws. Please advise how to proceed and ensure I have a safe non counterfeit product.”

5 Likes