Item received late, will this be covered by A-Z?

This was purchased on October 22. I bought the shipping label on Sunday, October 22. Unfortunately, I forgot to change the ship date to Monday, October 23. They did not receive it on time, so should I tell them to claim A-Z? Or will the fact that I forgot to change the ship date to Monday be a problem?

Should I just refund it (after they send it back)?

1 Like

We have noticed that Ground Advantage labels that are printed the day before you have selected to ship will print with the early date. In other words, a label selected to be shipped on Monday and printed the day before on Sunday will have the Sunday date printed on the label. This has not effected anything for us.

Since you shipped by the ship by date and USPS first scan is by the ship by date, Amazon A to Z should cover this as it is a delivery issue and covered under the A to Z policy. If Amazon tries to charge you, then do the appeal. @TheOrangeCrush has a template that works great on the appeal and we think you can find it under SAS Confidential (Resource tag).

1 Like

So I’ve been doing this all wrong? I need to have them file an A-Z? I’ve been authorizing the refunds, which they don’t return half the time anyway. Would be nice if this didn’t have to come out of my own pocket, though.

I think A-Z is more work for customers to file if they actually receive it, is that right?

Yes, IF you used Buy Shipping.

Because tracking shows that the package was in possession of the carrier by your latest ship-by date of 10/24.

Buy Shipping protections include refunds at Amazon’s expense to the Buyer for late delivery (latest EDD 10/30, actually delivered 11/2), when the package was shipped on time.

Currently, Amazon has made the path to file an A to Z a little bit more of a challenge for the customer than it use to be. Probably it is an attempt by Amazon to slow the damage A to Z is causing to their cash flow.

Yes … as long as you have a scan that shows you have shipped on time (by the ship by date).

If you use Buy Shipping, then any shipping issue should be handled by Amazon and covered via an A to Z claim and NOT come out of your pocket … nor should it be counted against you.

Note: the customer should still contact you first and you should respond that this type of issue would be handled by Amazon through the Amazon A to Z policy. The customer has to wait 48 hours after contacting you to file the A to Z. (the 48 hours doesn’t always happen nor does the customer always contact you first)

3 Likes

Thank you. I learn so much here. So, if they received the package and it’s late and I used Buy Shipping, what do customers have to do to file the A-Z?

I have the template for when it doesn’t arrive, but I’m not sure what they need to do if it’s late. Do they have a button to click somewhere?

3 Likes

Yes

Remember … late is only when the item was delivered after the expected delivery date (not if customer says it was later than they wanted but actually delivered on or before the expected delivery date).

A template for an INR would be very similar to a template for an item that was delivered after the expected delivery date. Both would direct the customer to contact Amazon as it is a shipping issue covered by the A to Z policy (assuming Buy Shipping was used and item had a first scan on time).

Basically, the button they click now for help is the Problem With Order button or the Return or Replace button. The customer will have to go through the work flow to get to the right place. Basically, all you can do is to tell them to select problem with delivery and follow the prompts. They could also call Amazon.

Just make sure you respond to the initial email from them and any email after that will depend on how the customer is acting. If you get a tough one, just come back to SAS and ask for help in how to respond.

2 Likes

So if they are trying to return the item because it arrived late, we don’t go through the refund process? We just tell them to file the A-Z?

Absolutely YES (as long as Buy Shipping was used and item was shipped on time).

4 Likes

This will probably help you …

Amazon’s A-to-z Guarantee claims

The Amazon A-to-z Guarantee ensures that customers have a consistent experience when making purchases across the Amazon store. The A-to-z Guarantee is provided for orders directly fulfilled by you and covers both the timely delivery and the condition of items once received.

2 Likes

Thank you. Boy, I have been losing money doing it the wrong way. I’m glad I found you guys.

5 Likes

Okay, so I got another “package didn’t arrive,” and I used the template for telling them to file A-Z.

What to do next? Can I close the return request?

Don’t do anything. An open return request doesn’t hurt you at all, and if you close the request, the buyer won’t be able to send the item back if/when it does arrive. Then they may end up opening an AtoZ for a different reason that you would have a harder time fighting.

If the buyer opens the claim for INR, assuming you meet all the criteria, you are fine. If the buyer doesn’t open a claim, no problem. Don’t go looking for trouble.

3 Likes

If the customer didn’t get the item …

then why and/or how did the customer open a

Did tracking show as delivered? …

Since you responded to an email, then you are done for now … just wait.

1 Like

The package doesn’t show delivered, but I have an xxxxx pending return request. I sent them a message with the template for package not delivered (since that is what they are complaining about).

The promise date is tomorrow, but whatever…

ETA: @maintak It’s not an open return request; it’s a pending authorization.

FWIW, I’m learning that for expedited shipping, it’s better to go with Buy Shipping, even if Amazon is being stupid and only allowing more expensive options, because those expedited people really lke to complain about not getting their stuff on time (even when it’s on time).

Do I need to authorize the return, or is sending them the A to Z template and leaving the pending return authorization the right way to do it?

Am I going to get dinged if I don’t authorize the pending request?

You should only need to authorize a return if it is out of policy or hazmat. For standard items, a buyer opens a return request and gets a label. They can then either use the label to send the item back, or not.

So, for clarity, do you have a pending return request that needs to be authorized or refused, or do you have an open return request pending a buyer sending the item back?

If you have the former, you need to authorize the return unless you have an Amazon acceptable reason no refuse it.

If you have the later, it is up to the buyer to return the item if they want a refund. You can ignore the open return request without repercussions, but if it makes you feel better you can cull them by closing older ones after say… 90 days or something.

EDIT: I just saw this, so that clarifies things. You have to either authorize or reject the return request. Unless you have an Amazon accepted reason to do so, you should authorize it. The AtoZ instructions are not a sufficient response to a return request.

1 Like

Thank you. I just get so many of these requests (didn’t-get-item return authorization requests), so don’t know what to do with them.

Some people just check boxes without caring which ones they check, just to get to the end they want faster. For example, all the people who click “not as described” when what they really mean is “I have no concept of what I want, but my spouse told me it’s not this.” This leads to conflicting information, such as return requests on the same order as INR claims.

It helps to remember that you only need to respond in such a way that will satisfy the Amabots and cover yourself as per your requirements to sell on Amazon, but you do not have to satisfy buyers who don’t know what they want, can’t read, or want things outside the realm of our current understanding of physics. Just deal with what’s in front of you and don’t bother trying to figure out what the buyer actually did or did not do/get/want/think/imagine/steal/invent/destroy/imbibe.

If you have a buyer claiming INR, you do the INR things. If they want a return authorization, you handle the return authorization. Follow the protocols and leave common sense at the door.

2 Likes

We would close the return request noting as the reason that the customer claimed “item not received” and therefore can not return the item. We would send an email to the customer that you closed the return request because they have not received it and that the proper way to handle would be to open the A to Z claim which is how Amazon policy covers shipments that have not been received.

1 Like