[Jungle Scout] Consumer Trends Report | Q3 2023

These are useful data as snapshots into current consumer behavior, if you know how to use them.

Some insights here, but go download the full report for all the details:

DISCLAIMER: Reposting the content of an ecom service provider on SAS by a staff OP is in no way an endorsement, official or otherwise, of that provider. Neither SAS nor the staff OP is affiliated with or compensated by the provider. Content provided on SAS for informational purposes only.

Looking at these timelines, gotta say that Prime Big Deal Days might be more important than I realized. :thinking:

2 Likes

That big chunk down at the bottom seems like an issue as well. 12 percent plan to not shop at all. Is there a poll like this from last year to maybe compare that?

1 Like

Well @ModernSwitch, I downloaded both the 2022 Q3 and 2023 Q3 reports, just for you! JungleScout even notes that 2023’s 12% “not shopping” is up from 2022’s 8%. :thinking: Interesting…

2 Likes

Could “not shopping” include cash gifts or gift cards? In some families, that is a popular gift idea. For certain members of my extended family, local grocery store gift cards are on the wish list.

2 Likes

Most of the results are not surprising to me. Other than the percentage of high income earners already shopping for Christmas.

I frankly am not sure that the division of behavior by income segment is meaningful High income earners who are younger with children at home are probably different from high income seniors like me. I am likely to gift cash because it makes my head hurt to buy some of what my family wants.

The description of the methodology is a little skimpy. I’d like to know the selection criteria for the sample, and the margin of error.

Perhaps it is in the full report. I refuse to share my information with Jungle Scout which is required to download the full report.

1 Like

Another thought is that more and more families are buying trips or events with their holiday money, instead of things. Magazine subscriptions, theater gift cards, vacation getaways, whole family portraits, escape rooms–they are spending money but not on traditional gifts or through “gift shopping”.

2 Likes

Also, old folks giving cash as gifts to their younger family is acceptable, so might as well take the easy way out. It’s win-win, you don’t need to waste time shopping and they get to buy what they want.

1 Like

Interesting and relevant

Consumers are still spending on nice things, if they’re on trend

By [Parija Kavilanz], CNN
Published 8:25 AM EDT, Mon September 25, 2023

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.