So Who Out There Actually Follows Amazon Image Guidelines

I was curious for those of you out there making your own listings, do you use a white background or do you go full photoshop and have text and colors in your background? Do you do white on the primary and everything else is more practical or in use?

2 Likes
  1. Follow Image Guidelines - Yes

2. Full White Background on Hero Image only - Main Image altered because white on the product needs to be contrasted with white background

3. All other images are lifestyle Images showing product use

4. Zero Infographic Images - as I am one of the few people that think its tacky af (But I think this is highly niche dependent)

2 Likes

I follow all guidelines with exception to the 80% rule for very small items. If you do 80% for those you will get lots of “lot smaller than I expected” returns.

For the white background, I shoot against white but then process it with fotofuze for quick and easy numeric white value. A lot of Handmade sellers do not like having to do the white background requirement for the main image but I’m ok with it for my product.

There are still lots of major violators like non white background for main images, noses for nose rings in main image, watermarks etc. I wish Amazon would clamp down on some of this.

4 Likes

In Handmade, since 2015, we were told do whatever we like, but neutral backgrounds were better.

Then late in the summer of 2020, they reversed and said "ok, all white backgrounds by the end of the year. Which was really major for makers, many of us who do made-to-order and would now have to make hundreds of extra things, AND do all white photos. And we all do our own photos. Also get good at a whole new style while prepping for the holidays!

They eventually moved it up, first to Feb21, then June21. Anything I do without perfect white now gets suppressed, so I don’t know how others get away with it.

I shoot white, photoshop, then use fuze like Wade to get the pure white background.

My other images are whatever I had before, but for new listings I pretty much do all the pics in my lightbox only.

5 Likes

We actually also shoot on white in a lightbox, but then edit in Photoshop for numeric white background on all our images. We believe it helps from being search suppressed and there is also the fact that if white background didn’t work I don’t think Amazon would require it. It works fine for our stuff and doing it only takes minutes for us.

-Ana

4 Likes

They get away with it by adding a white border. The white background doesn’t have to be that big, so people don’t notice it. Regardless, I use a white background. It’s easier for me.

5 Likes

I do 255-255-255 background on all my pics. I tried a white border once (white feather earrings on a colored background) but the picture still got suppressed.

I shoot on a white background and edit in Photoshop. I have a lot of non-contiguous borders so tools like Magic Wand are useless.

Out of 9000 pictures, less than 20 are lifestyle. It’s too much work to continuously change the photo set-up, especially since over half of my products are 10 available units or less.

I believe it’s 85? but I aim for that because it makes a better picture. Only a few “smaller than expected” returns from idiots who think that all purchases will be the same size as their phone screen.

Amazon has a whole lotta lotta non-compliant pics everywhere, as well as reams of non-handmade junk in Handmade, and Amazon enforces its own rules erratically if at all.

Whatever, I stick to the sand-shifting dicta as much as possible. Stress is inevitable on Amazon — I was locked out of both editing and adding listings for 2 weeks because a bot or person arbitrarily decided that I wasn’t the owner of my brand. But my pictures all have 255-255-255 backgrounds, one less source of stress.

3 Likes

I use fotofuze on 100% of my coin and stamp listings not just the main. I do not like any distraction in my pic’s and I feel it makes the listing appear more professional.

2 Likes

All White - but I sell art so that’s easy for me (all photoshop). Drives me nuts how many show their work in frames when they aren’t framed. It looks so much nicer. I could do that too, but I can’t imagine how many MORE “It’S NoT FRaMeD!” complaints I’d get.

Other images are practical/in use and I also have 2-3 Infographic images because people don’t read.

5 Likes

One of the reasons I ask is a lot of my competition uses text in images, images in images, and images in operation with a background/IRL and other graphics.

1 Like

Did the white background because both Etsy and amazon are like “it’s the professional “ thing to do. This was pre Instagram/Pinterest days. It was a good way to stand out and really showed that you were a professional.

Then “lifestyle” images started gaining popularity mostly because of visual social media like Instagram and Pinterest.

Even though Etsy and amazon handmade say that white is better, they really only promote and favor those who are doing the lifestyle shots. It’s one of those frustrating because you want to “follow the rules” and yet amazon handmade and Etsy are promoting people who are “rule breakers”.

I’ve always found lifestyle shots complicated for my products. I have a little set up I use with a shelf that holds keys and a flower pot but who really has a shelf next to a light switch cover :joy:. Also my plants keep dying and I can’t find a good fake looking plant :eyes:

2 Likes

Reason # 14,283 for planting the ever-popular Mighty Rutabaga.

All other plant life shall, forevermore, bask in its glow…

:star_struck:

2 Likes

I started Etsy in 2008 and it was all lifestyle images back then. A throw over a couch, non-matching couch pillows, a teddy bear sitting on a piece of lace, and a cluttered table off to the side with all kinds of junk and a vase in the far corner of the table. What were they selling? The partially-visible necklace draped over the vase and almost out of the picture frame.

I hated those pictures. The first time I saw a product on an all-white background, my jaw dropped and there was no going back.

And my Photoshop skills have improved exponentially since that time, which I’m very proud of :sunglasses:

Question for the grammatically-inclined: I know that ending a sentence with a preposition is a no-no, but if I put an emoji after the preposition, is it then OK? Asking for a friend.

4 Likes

I know you didn’t ask, but just some more ideas…we have a light switch between our kitchen counter, cabinets, and sink window, for the garbage disposal and under-cabinet lights.

I also have a light switch over a small dresser/shoe cabinet, under hooks, in my entryway.

Fear not! English minor, some graduate study in linguistics, and three-year writing center tutor (two of those as student supervisor) here…English is a Germanic language, where there is no such “no ending preposition” convention. In fact, in German, doing so often makes the most sense, structurally, and the point of language is communication (i.e., making sense when sharing info with others). The English-based convention is artificial and non-practical, rendering communication more unwieldy than necessary, in an already patchwork tongue.

So do it. Go for it.
End with prepositions, without guilt, fear, or shame.

And also yes, emoji now both substitute as ending punctuation and for saving the sentence from an ending preposition, if you still aren’t sure.

2 Likes

Seconded, wholeheartedly.

As someone who is SO old that Latin was actually my first language (:sweat_smile:), I couldn’t agree more that one should write/speak/communicate in a style that, first & foremost, they themselves are comfortable with.

Contrast that last sentence with what ‘Proper English’ construction would have us do:

“…, I could not agree more that one should write/speak/communicate in a style with which they themselves, first and foremost, are comfortable.”

We all know that me likey me some English - but even an old dog can learn new tricks.

If he tries. :face_exhaling:

Friends who lurk in the shadows of our minds need not question the intentions of the “other” friends who might also be lurking in there of.

Why complicate the situation of sharing knowledge with a complex grammatical sentence when a simple poorly constructed sentence that is easily understood contains the same information there in?

Well placed emojis give one insight into the personality of another in text much like the facial expressions give us insight of the personality of the person who stands before us. Place your emojis where they fit best … if the end is where it fits best, then so be it.

{{{ Disclaimer: This post is an emoji free text and is not to be construed as a display of a non personality trait of the expressionist represented here in. }}}

2 Likes

Not so much

not so much i think

I actually tried and still kept getting flagged for not having a full white background.

I went into photoshop and painted over everything in white but the item because the background was Off white (i kid you not, used a white background but it wasn’t white enough.

Still kept getting flagged, so gave up uploaded the original image and didn’t have any issues.

I shoot on a pure white background with camera brightness/exposure adjusted to 1-1/3, but the pre-edited photo still has a light gray background. I swear that I spend more time in Photoshop than making my actual product.

3 Likes

Winston Churchill’s editor once proposed to “correct” some of his work to eliminate any sentences ending in a preposition.

Churchill wrote back “That is something, up with which, I will not put.”

1 Like