What I'm reading

There is a What I’m watching and What I’m listening to thread, but I need new books to read. What are you reading?

I just finished rereading Nightwatch by Terry Pratchett. I love that book.

3 Likes

I love thrillers and I’m very picky about authors. I don’t like fluff, the second I see anything referring to “deep blue pools of her eyes” or bitten cheeks, I’m out. Get to the point.

Lately I’ve been reading Adrian McKinty. I loved his standalone books (The Chain and The Island) so went back and blew through his Sean Duffy series. Now I’m reading the 3rd in his older Michael Forsythe series.

Also recently finished November Road by Lou Berney. Fantastic. I have his new novel queued up to read next.

Before these I finished The Cartel series by Don Winslow - these are like 700 pages long, but very, very good. Excellent characters. I also really liked his Danny Ryan trilogy, the 2nd one is being made into a movie soon.

4 Likes

What?!? No sparkly glittering vampires who love the sun?

:slight_smile:

I tend to go with military Sci-Fi like Jack Campbell or David Weber. The Honor Harrington series being interesting even after the original major conflict died down, which speaks well on world constructing and presenting possible plotlines. Space Opera, well done enough to stick a fork in it!

Much of my reading has also been on Royal Road, which is a website for aspiring authors. Yes, most of it is really bad, but there are a few good reads there. The successful authors tend to clean the posts up and then move them to Kindle on Amazon. Considering the average quality of most Kindle books in the fantasy/science fiction realms, I am not sure just how much of an improvement they might have with this. But if it sells, it sells, right?

3 Likes

Sounds up my alley, I did really enjoy the Hell Divers series by Nicholas Sansbury Smith and a few books by Jeremy Robinson (a little more goofy but still enjoyable)

3 Likes

As far as fiction, I have Jane Austens and JK Rowlings in constant rotation. And I’m about to undertake an Agatha Christie re-read with my middle schooler.

4 Likes

May I ask if Marple’s first on the agenda?

1 Like

Currently on Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman. (Second book in the Sythe series)
I’m a big sucker for anything dystopian, apocalyptic, or horror related, with high fantasy sprinkled in.
Would highly recommend Bentley Little if you need some horror recommendations as we head into October. He can get pretty dark though, so keep that in mind.

3 Likes

Nope, Poirot for the first few, just because we recently watched two different Christie-based Doctor Who episodes that piqued her interest.

We’ll jump around in the timeline and see how the attention span maintains itself. Maybe add a movie or two.

I personally want to hit a theater for A Haunting in Venice, before it closes, but she’s not ready for that.

3 Likes

Do audiobooks count? I find myself falling asleep if I try to sit down and read a book, so I like to listen to audiobooks while I do mindless tasks like packing an FBA shipment or weeding. I’m a big sci-fi nerd, and the Dune series (original 6) is one I find myself listening to over and over again when I can’t find something new to listen to. Currently, I’m listening to Chapterhouse Dune.

6 Likes

America America by Ethan Canin.
I found this author several weeks ago and read his Doubter’s Almanac and have decided to read everything else by him. It’s literary fiction.

2 Likes

I just finished a Jane Austen rotation. Comfort reading for me when times are mixed up.

4 Likes

I skip Northanger Abbey, and Mansfield Park is optional, but P&P, S&S, Emma, and Persuasion are each required.

3 Likes

I have not read the Hell Diver series, though I have seen it advertised before. Thank you for that recommendation. I will see if it is on audible.

2 Likes

I’ve got several irons in the fire as far as books go. Intellectuals by Paul Johnson and Liar’s Poker (re-read from my college days) by Michael Lewis are two of them.

3 Likes

I read a lot of historical fiction. Over the summer someone introduced me to the late British author David Gemmell. Just finished the third book in his Troy series, with Dardanian hunk Aeneas as the main character. Not so pius in Gemmell’s retelling of an old, old story. Kinda blending alternative history with fantasy.

This was the first author I have encountered to make the case that the Achaeans were actually part of the Sea Peoples’ depredations.

2 Likes

LOL… I just started the latest Black Dagger Brotherhood book, by JR Ward. I thinks it’s like her 23rd book in the series… needless to say, she is one of my favorite authors and yes her books have vampires, but they aren’t sparkly, glittering or teenagers. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I read a wide variety of books, both fiction and non-fiction. I’ve read the Harry Potter series and several Jane Austen books. I don’t read many mystery books but I did see the new film “A Haunting in Venice” based on an Agatha Christie novel.

I’m re-reading part of A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway, the part where Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald go on a road trip in France. We only have Hemingway’s version of what happened on the trip but it is worth a second read.

I’m also currently reading Beware the Naked Man Who Offers You His Shirt by Harvey Mackay. Mackay is an American businessman who has authored several books. I read his newspaper column in the 1990’s and was thrilled when he was invited to speak at the local university. It was a memorable experience. He still published his columns although they are online now.

Last year, I read Emma by Jane Austen. It’s typical Austen but I prefer Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. I did read Northanger Abbey and enjoyed it mainly because I purchased my copy of the book at Austen’s home in Chawton, England. The home tour helped me gain insight into Jane’s life and put her writing in a better perspective.

3 Likes

Oooh, I want to see this!

3 Likes

I liked “A Haunting in Venice”. It’s a little different and scarier than the two previous films by Kenneth Branagh. The film is based on the novel Hallowe’en Party by Christie. The setting has been changed from England to Venice. It is the first time that this particular novel has been made into a film.

3 Likes

I know this is the reading thread, but you have just reminded me of a great little movie about the end of Shakespeare’s life. Have you seen All Is True with Kenneth Branagh, Judi Dench, and Ian McKellen? Gives you a whole new way of looking at the Bard.

1 Like